Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalopes 2018 Turkey Scouting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Roosted on a ridge? You mean a 3' rise in the field? 😂
Oh come on. I bet it is at least 80 feet in elevation over 1/4 mile. 😂 Not even a one stopper. Its not that we don't have hills like yall do, its that we don't have hollows. By that i mean our highest spot in clark is a full 104 feet higher than the highest spot in Washington. One big flat ridge top. Lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Gordo

Athens County
Yeah really gets a guy pumped for season. Lol. We hit the call a couple times this mornong and it shut the birds up. They went quiet until the crows started messing with them

My typical season...
Until this year [emoji16]

Good stuff. [emoji23]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Alex and I split up again this morning, I dropped him at one spot and went to a different one. The birds he was listening to we heard last week and are usually our sure bet birds. There ended up being three of them, two Tom's and a Jake. After fly down they pitched and had about six hens with them.

I went to a different spot to listen to a bird that I found last year that disappeared about a week before season. I heard this bird last week but today he was gone or tight lipped. Not sure if he is henned up really bad or if he has moved. Last year there were three birds in there two weeks before season and then all of a sudden they all disappeared.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I went to a different spot to listen to a bird that I found last year that disappeared about a week before season. I heard this bird last week but today he was gone or tight lipped. Not sure if he is henned up really bad or if he has moved. Last year there were three birds in there two weeks before season and then all of a sudden they all disappeared.

Pressure from other hunters?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Our go-to Birds threw us an audible after the 2-minute whistle this morning. Instead of flying down to the open spot that usually hit and stick around in for a while they roosted further back and flew straight down then walked to the open spot. This poses an issue because once a bird is on the ground there's really no telling where they're going to go. Sure they will usually go to the same place but that's not a guarantee as they can walk anywhere. We have found that if you don't shoot a bird within 10 minutes of him being on the ground your chance of success goes way down. Usually when this happens the birds start to work a different direction and we have to make an aggressive move on them to try and get out front of them. I think we are still in good shape but this does add a variable. We will scout them again Sunday morning and make a game plan for Monday.

Reactions: steveOh

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm always impressed and inspired by the effort you guys put into scouting. Me, I'll scout once season is in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm always impressed and inspired by the effort you guys put into scouting. Me, I'll scout once season is in.

It takes determination thats for sure. There's only about 20 birds killed in the whole county each season and Alex and I are usually responsible for 2-3 of those. Pre-season scouting is key for us as we don't get many opportunities to pressure those birds.

Isaacorps

Columbus

It takes determination thats for sure. There's only about 20 birds killed in the whole county each season and Alex and I are usually responsible for 2-3 of those. Pre-season scouting is key for us as we don't get many opportunities to pressure those birds.

Good luck guys!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No gun dry run. We've got camo on and we're going to move in fairly close to where we expect these birds to show up. Going to do a little bit of calling just to check their temperature for tomorrow morning to see how aggressive we need to be.