Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Coon Trapping Bonanza

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
On skunks I was told by a animal control guy to shoot them in the lungs and they won't spray. Shoot them in the head and almost 100% will spray.
Years ago I had a litter of baby skunks under my sidewalk and my buddy wanted to catch them. My son read on the internet that baby skunks can't spray until older. Well those little shits didn't get that information as they sprayed the hell on my buddy. His only luck was they was damn small with little spray amounts.
I wouldn't leave him in the house. Those baby skunks were about the size of a 12 oz pop can.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
2 big sows so far. 5 in 7 to go.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I feel bad for that last one. I whacked him in the head with the bat two good times and a minute later he still hadn't expired. After a couple iterations of that i shot him with the 22 pistol in the head. A couple minutes later he still hadn't expired so I shot him again. That'll really make a guy feel bad about the job he's doing.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I feel bad for that last one. I whacked him in the head with the bat two good times and a minute later he still hadn't expired. After a couple iterations of that i shot him with the 22 pistol in the head. A couple minutes later he still hadn't expired so I shot him again. That'll really make a guy feel bad about the job he's doing.
Those bastards are tough. You gotta use a hammer and beat em like they owe you money 😎

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Those bastards are tough. You gotta use a hammer and beat em like they owe you money [emoji41]
I have a 16 inch tire buddy that has a piece of steel pipe on the end. I hit that dude hard enough to kill a grown man probably a dozen times. After about the third iteration of 4-5 whacks i started to feel like a serial killer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a 16 inch tire buddy that has a piece of steel pipe on the end. I hit that dude hard enough to kill a grown man probably a dozen times. After about the third iteration of 4-5 whacks i started to feel like a serial killer.

Whack those fuggers real good on the top of the head right between the eyes, then stand on their rib cage. They'll be dead in a minute or less.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We used a wooden ball bat cut off just at the top of the trademark. One on top of the head to stun them. Hold up by hind leg, come straight down the back and hit the neck at the base of the skull. DONE!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It is. When i let them go they seem pretty sleepy though. All they want to do is lay there.

Really though I wish there was something that I could do with them. I have managed to get ahold of four trapper's in my area and none of them want them. Just not worth their time at 2-5 bucks a pelt. They are not even targeting raccoon this year. Looking at the NAFA fur auction results i can see why. 90% didn't sell in the spring auction and was liquidated in the summer auction averaging 5 bucks a pelt. The effort to even take a coon that is given to you and skin, flesh, stretch, package and ship to auction isn't worth it. One guy told me that he caught 24 coon last year and his fur check on coon was less than 100 bucks. That didn't even cover gas much less his time

So its purely nest predator control at this point.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It is. When i let them go they seem pretty sleepy though. All they want to do is lay there.

Really though I wish there was something that I could do with them. I have managed to get ahold of four trapper's in my area and none of them want them. Just not worth their time at 2-5 bucks a pelt. They are not even targeting raccoon this year. Looking at the NAFA fur auction results i can see why. 90% didn't sell in the spring auction and was liquidated in the summer auction averaging 5 bucks a pelt. The effort to even take a coon that is given to you and skin, flesh, stretch, package and ship to auction isn't worth it. One guy told me that he caught 24 coon last year and his fur check on coon was less than 100 bucks. That didn't even cover gas much less his time

So its purely nest predator control at this point.
That's all I do it for. I'm not messing with them for $5-10 a pelt, I give the nice ones to my buddy that doesn't seem to mind putting them up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Do u guys not have any local fur buyers where u can sell them green?
They're only worth 5 bucks for an XL prime and thats skinned, fleshed, dried and shipped to auction. Its not worth their time to mess with them if they're free much less to buy them.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Well I'll be skinning the ones I catch and selling them green locally. I agree I won't get much, but the girls like tagging along to the fur truck. Sort of a little tradition for us.
Just takes a few minutes to skin one so mide as well take the time and cover the fuel.