Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

jerky guns

Jamie

Ohio
of all the meat processing, curing, smoking, and cooking I've done over the years, I have never made jerky. not one attempt at it ever. I've eaten plenty of good formed and traditional jerky made by friends, but have always been too lazy to do it. I have lots of venison for grinding, so I'm going to make some formed jerky and play with the smoke and seasonings before I start sacrificing good cuts of venison for real jerky.

Anybody have an opinion on which jerky extruders are worth having?

Reactions: bowhunter1023
of all the meat processing, curing, smoking, and cooking I've done over the years, I have never made jerky. not one attempt at it ever. I've eaten plenty of good formed and traditional jerky made by friends, but have always been too lazy to do it. I have lots of venison for grinding, so I'm going to make some formed jerky and play with the smoke and seasonings before I start sacrificing good cuts of venison for real jerky.

Anybody have an opinion on which jerky extruders are worth having?
I have a cabelas one that's actually pretty solid

Reactions: Jamie

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Never ground but I'm on my second batch of regular sliced today. My buddy uses the gun. I'll try to find out which one it is.
IMG_20220116_115613406.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I'm thinking it was a wedding present and our 25th is this year so it's a good one lol. 5 trays and with 6 pounds of trimmed meat it made two full batches. I rotate the trays every 90 minutes. About 7 hours a batch.
IMG_20220116_162259040.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I have a gun and a dehydrator, but I can't seem to produce a good texture from ground venison. The taste is always good, but just never looks right.
I was wondering about the texture. more exactly, which would be better, a coarser or finer grind for jerky? I used to double grind my venison, but decided a while ago that it was a complete waste of time. I grind it one trip through a 1/8"(or whatever the metric equivalent is) plate, but have finer and coarser plates.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Last few batches have turned out very well for me. Once ground 1/8 in plate. Mix very well with seasoning cure and water until meat starts to get tacky. Shoot and cook. Watch it doesnt overdry and get crumbly. I suggest sampling hot jerky near the end of cook time but be careful you might eat the whole damn batch before it cools its so good....

Reactions: Mike and Jamie

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
EA8B760C-7688-4C0A-8A95-A99869D659BE.jpeg
5EBC54D6-B6E2-47D2-BFCC-F0C456F1D60E.jpeg
01650AEE-AD1E-42B8-AD96-2C7A0C97658D.jpeg

This is what I use. I grind the deer meat with a electric grinder from Cabela’s…just mix one pound of meat with one seasoning and one cure packet, place in the gun and shoot directly onto the dehydrator grate. Just rotate the grates every hour until done. Comes out pretty good, but isn’t as chewy as a piece of meat…but still chewy.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Last few batches have turned out very well for me. Once ground 1/8 in plate. Mix very well with seasoning cure and water until meat starts to get tacky. Shoot and cook. Watch it doesnt overdry and get crumbly. I suggest sampling hot jerky near the end of cook time but be careful you might eat the whole damn batch before it cools its so good....
This here. For ground jerky I want it fine and you need to actually add water til it gets tacky. If it's too course it gets too crumbly and not pliable at all