Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jerky Shooter?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Any of you guys used one of those jerky shooters?

Are they worth a damn? I've got a ton of ground meat from my deer, so either I'll be eating burgers, chili, meatballs, meatloaf, and deerburger helper for the next year or I need to figure something out for all of it.

Thanks for your insight...

my jerky shooter broke , the handle part so i just took it apart and use the tube in a regular caulking gun . works great , and makes me feel more like a man being able to use a tool .

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have used one for the last 3 years. I make all my jerky in a dehydrator now using ground meat. Beats the hell out of slicing muscle meat. I like to buy the hickory blend spice from dunhams them spice it up a bit. They come with a round and wide attatchment so you can do either flat or round jerky. Easy clean up as well

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
You are referring to the caulking gun looking thing that makes either jerky or slim jim type snacks right?

If that is what you are referring to then yes they are a good investment. Had one for over three years and it still works great. Just made up four lbs of jerky a couple weeks ago. As a matter of fact I forgot the rest at Jesses' house over the weekend. Oh well small price to pay for a weekend getaway. ;)

Here is a picture of the model I have. It is a Eastman Outdoors Jerky Kit.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sounds like it's an easy decision to make!! Thank Guys!!

I'm always kinda skeptical of stuff like that until I hear positive feedback from other hunters. There's so much stuff out there that isn't worth the packaging it comes in. Guess I'll be placing an order this week.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have NO DISCIPLINE when it comes to jerky. 1/2 lb or 4. Once I open a package, I'll eat it till its gone.:p

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have one of those units and it seems to make good jerky......I haven't used it for a couple years but I think I will get it out and use it on last year's burger now that you mention it!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
why dont you just do it in the oven? have you tried that yet? or they have a jerkey maker at wal mart for like 30.00 bucks I think. my buddy and i just let the steaks thaw out a bit and cut them in thin slices while they are still somewhat frozzen. Then put them in the jerkey maker.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When it comes to jerky, IMO using ground meat is far better than using sliced meat. With ground meat it's easier to mix seasoning, takes WAY less time to make, and you don't wear out your jaws trying to eat it. My jerky gun is one of the best Christmas gifts I've gotten in quite a while. I usually buy mequite or hickory seasoning from LEM, and add in a mixture of liquid smoke and Jim Beam... mmmmm mmmmm! I've also got a Ronco dehydrator, but I think it actually works out better when using the oven.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Well... I read somewhere to wait at least 60 days to make jerky using a shooter & ground meat. That 60 day period has now passed as of the 11th. Just got around to ordering a jerky shooter from One Stop Jerky Shop, and had to get some new jerky screens for my smoker. Those are also on order and scheduled to arrive next week.

Since I'll be playing Mr. Mom next weekend, there won't be any hunting going on. The kids both love jerky and get all excited when they see the smoker getting prepped. Hopefully if all goes as planned we'll be feasting on a fresh batch of deer jerky next weekend!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Finally got around to getting the jerky shooter out this past weekend. So far I have to say I like this batch better than the traditional sliced jerky I've been making. Way more tender, the slice consistency is darn near identical each and every time, and the taste is fantastic. My only problem now is that I need to get a bigger smoker...

Here's a pic of the two styles of attachments that came with the shooter I bought. the slices on the left are the single stick, and the right is the double stick. The only problem with the double stick attachment was that the meat didn't completely separate into 2 slices. I had to go back with a butter knife and do it myself. No biggie though. I like the double stick attachment better all in all.

Outside & into the smoker....

I left them in the smoker for a few hours & then finished on a jerky rack in the over to speed things up. My little smoker doesn't hold in enough heat when it's cold outside to do the job, but the smoke flavor hits the spot....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The wife and I came up with this cure for our jerky. Tastes mighty fine and I thought I would share.

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup worsishire sauce
1 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cayenne powder
1 tsp. jalapeno powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. hot pepper seeds
1 tsp. liquid smoke