Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2012-2013 Hunting Log

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Came in to my new farm this afternoon for my first hunt on it since acquiring it this summer. I had two spots in mind, with a third if I had to force it. The first spot was way TOO thick to even consider. The second spot had a stand hung close to where I wanted to be, so I went to an area I figured would also be TOO thick to hunt. Turns out it is not that bad, so I picked out a triple trunked red oak and hung my stand. I didn't even have my bow up when I look down 20 yards away and here is a 120-125" 8 with matching kickers off his bases/brows in my friggin wheel house at 2 o'clock! I'm glad it wasn't a deer I wanted to shoot!!!

I took some video and will post it later. I'm in a spot that has that "feel" to it. I'm excited to come back here tomorrow morning. Probably sit all day in this spot...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351881591.030436.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great shot Jesse!

That's a cool ass pic of the buck TOO! I'm getting good vibes about this set!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not a bad day, but it could have been better. Ended up seeing 3 bucks and 4 does total between the two sits at two different farms. I went in after Jack this morning and had a small buck move through at first light and 3 does around 8:30. It was a brutal sit as the wind was whipping and it was right in my face. Being on the ridge and the edge of the field, it beat the hell out of me.

I moved from our farm at lunch to the new farm and encountered the buck in the video below. It was dead from 2:30 until 6:15 when I saw a young buck and a lone doe. I climbed down a little early to see if there were deer hitting the clover or cut beans and it was dead. I'm headed back to the same stand in the morning because I have faith it's in a good spot, so we'll see how it shakes out...

Antlerless Sightings: 23
Bucks Sightings: 14
Different Bucks: 13
Shooters Seen: 3
Total Sightings: 37

Deer Killed: 0
Deer in Bow Range: 13

Morning Hunts: 4
Evening Hunts: 8
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 12

Hours on Stand: 28.5

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours and 23 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.3

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 7
Properties Hunted: 3

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I forgot to add the reason the back slams on the breaks is he saw my pack and bow laying on the ground. It was crazy how he picked them out without evening looking their way!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I may very well have experienced my best season ever up to this point. The plan is to continue hunting at our farm so I can learn a few things. After pulling some cams this weekend, I also feel comfortable taking a least one doe off the 165 acres I am hunting out there, so I will attempt to do that before my $15 tag expires. All in all, it has a been a short, but exciting season!!!

Antlerless Sightings: 32
Bucks Sightings: 22
Different Bucks: 15
Shooters Seen: 5
Total Sightings: 54

Deer Killed: 1
Deer in Bow Range: 20

Morning Hunts: 7
Evening Hunts: 11
Total Hunts: 18

Hours on Stand: 41.5

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours and 18 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.3

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 9

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've said it a few times in the past and it is certainly ringing true this year, but I enjoy "guiding" as much if not more than hunting for myself. With my tag filled, I'm taking people out that could use a hunting pick me up. My buddy I took out this morning was 70 yards from a "big buck" in a stand I just picked out last week. I'm pretty sure it was Jack, but he didn't get the best of looks. I'll be off Friday and will be taking his cousin out who is a new bowhunter. My buddy from work will also be back out trying to stick Jack. This weekend I am taking my cousin out for youth season, so it should be a fun filled weekend of deer hunting!!!

Antlerless Sightings: 36
Bucks Sightings: 25
Different Bucks: 17
Shooters Seen: 6
Total Sightings: 61

Deer Killed: 1
Deer in Bow Range: 22

Morning Hunts: 8
Evening Hunts: 11
Total Hunts: 19

Hours on Stand: 43

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1.42

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 9

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Keep up the good work, Jesse. It is a good time taking people out, and you're probably helping shorten the learning curve for many.

Gordo

Athens County
I agree with you about setting people up. I just need more people to do it for. I love getting my dad on deer! The bonus this year is that I'll be taking my brother in law out in the field late season. He's been slinging arrows like crazy hoping to be able to take the compound vs the crossbow. I think he's starting to 'get' the amount of work and preparation that goes into it. At first he thought he'd simply walk out and shoot a deer. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can't even begin to tell you how helpful the recon is TOO! Some of my best knowledge of how big bucks use our farm during the season comes from buddies who I've put in certain spots. If and/or when I kill a big one on our farm, I'll have some buddies to thank go their seat time and observations.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have some serious updating to do to this thread, but it'll have to wait for another day. It has been rough sledding trying to fill my tag on a slick head since I killed my buck, but the cold and golden acorns did one in today. Heck of a good sized doe, but not the real big one I was hoping to shoot. I have been up since 4 with the little one and around 8, I looked out the kitchen window and saw this big old doe standing at the corn. I woke the wife up and handed her the kid, then grabbed my gear and headed outside. Rather than just take the 110 yard shot from the house, I decided I'd add a little element of "hunting" to things since I was already sandbagging! By the time I got around the side of the house to start closing the distance, there were 4 sets of eyes to contend with. Thankfully there is a large pine tree in the middle of the back yard that I was able to keep between me and the big doe I was trying to shoot. The snow was frozen solid, so it was noisy as all hell and I slipped one the way up the hill, landing hard on my knee. I was going to try and get to 50 yards, but another doe was coming down the hill and picked me off, so I stopped at 75 yards and set the smoke pole on the shooting sticks, caught my breath and squeezed one off. The shot was a little high and she dropped in her tracks.

I did what I could to make it exciting and as fair as possible, but she still didn't stand a chance! Solid 125+ dressed doe that will make for some great eating!!! The rafters in my barn are just over 8' and I have her cinched up to there!