Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2016 Hunting Adventures

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Aside from what happened with Wilson you are having a great season as far as seeing good deer and better numbers and doing some of it along side of your lil huntin buddy! Keep on keepin buddy!:smiley_clap:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Entrance on top, exit on bottom. This is 16 hours after the shot and 8 hours before he died. Absolutely blows my mind. The angle at which I shot him says the arrow should have exited 3-4" lower. The autopsy revealed my arrow all but bent at a >45 degree angle upon extrance. Inexcusable broadhead performance IMO.

uploadfromtaptalk1479498071976.jpg

Gordo

Athens County
Had to be shoulder. Who knows how it was positioned upon entry. If he jumped the string a bit, just that quick motion of them dropping pushes the shoulder up. Not sure if that makes sense or not

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What is in there to make your arrow turn like that??? Any ideas anyone
I think the top of a rib. I stood at the spot again today and looked at the blind. It has me scratching my head. I'm not denying my failure to execute a perfect shot. My belief is a larger broadhead would have shown it's worth on this shot. To sustain no lung or liver damage from that angle with that exit is where I get dumbfounded.

Diablo54

Outside
I think the top of a rib. I stood at the spot again today and looked at the blind. It has me scratching my head. I'm not denying my failure to execute a perfect shot. My belief is a larger broadhead would have shown it's worth on this shot. To sustain no lung or liver damage from that angle with that exit is where I get dumbfounded.

I made the same shot this October from 10 yards and was left in the same shoes as you are now. I can't figure it out. Hardly any blood. And at ten yards it should have pummeled right down through. But it did not. And I'm shooting 190 grain 3 blades. Shot my doe 2 weeks later same angle same head. Blew through and she made it 60 yards to her death.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I made the same shot this October from 10 yards and was left in the same shoes as you are now. I can't figure it out. Hardly any blood. And at ten yards it should have pummeled right down through. But it did not. And I'm shooting 190 grain 3 blades. Shot my doe 2 weeks later same angle same head. Blew through and she made it 60 yards to her death.
That's crazy. I want to go back with my dad's survey equipment and get the math and a trail cam pic for reference and run a mock shot analysis. LOL.

No Gordo, arrow went all the way through. They pulled a fletching out of front side broadhead and said the exit was still in the backstrap. Made no mention of any lung or liver damage, so I assume it did not. If that's the case and knowing the angles, that arrow had to have deflected.

At the end of the day, that arrow needs to enter lower and that's on me. But despite knowing the outcome, I'm still amazed that this deer lived. How did I know hit spine or that artery either?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It is too high, obviously, but do you remember a few years ago I posted a story about a doe I shot perfectly? I shot her at 10 yards. She flopped down after a 50 yard trot. I stayed in the stand for an hour only to watch her run off as I approached. She had not bled a drop in the initial run, blew blood everywhere once she jumped and died immediately after. I can't explain what happens with arrows... but I know if I'd have put a chunk of lead through her, there would have been none of that foolishness. I've got a dozen stories like that, now you have one too. Lead, he's dead.

Gordo

Athens County
Brock's ready to kill some stuff! Something tells me his partner in crime is ready to take care of business too. Won't be long! Bang!