Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just saw a shooter buck

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I just saw a shooter buck coming from where I have a tree stand heading into a standing cornfield right across the road!

This is the first hard horned buck I have seen, and by the looks of it he has a lot of bone sticking up off his head!

It was just breaking daylight and he was over 1/4 mile away, but there was no doubt he was a shooter.

Come on opening day!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
That's awesome, atleast he made it easy for you to pick your opening day stand!....or he was just fuggin with ya and knew you were coming down the road lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It's exciting to see a good buck in the vicinity of a stand. Given the fact that I haven't laid eyes on a shooter buck since late July, it gets the adrenaline going.

He was headed across a green bean field feeding all the way, then he went right into a 40 acre standing cornfield, and the sun wasn't even close to being up yet. That's the reason nobody is seeing many bucks right now......they are bedding up at first light.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
saw a decent roadkill yday that was all hard horned...looked like he had been that way a while..

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Yea those big old boys and even some of his lady friends are sticking tight to the cornfields. Right now you would think there isn't a buck in the entire nw part of the state.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I am gonna need your advice on hunting standing corn, like how you set up and all that good junk. I got a field by my parents with alot of potential and a big buck in the area....I will pm you later.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I am gonna need your advice on hunting standing corn, like how you set up and all that good junk. I got a field by my parents with alot of potential and a big buck in the area....I will pm you later.

Chances are that cornfield won't be there in 2 weeks, but if it is I can give you some advice. If it's really brown and crispy, it will be very hard to hunt, unless the wind is blowing fairly good. Also, when it gets good and brown it is a lot harder to camoflage yourself compared to a greener field. I think you are better off to try and find a tree to get into along the edge of that cornfield if possible, you will have a better chance. Either way, a mature buck won't come out of a standing cornfield until right at the last minute of light. He may walk around deep in the cornfield an hour before sunset, but his butt isn't coming out of there until the last 1/2 hour or so in the early part of the season, if he does at all. Apples are a good way to give them a direction to go to, or if there is a water source along the edge of that cornfield, that is even a better option. Find a ditch with a pocket of water left in it right now and it could be gold.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's the power of than corn on the cob... Deers like it,,, Somebody on OS tole me that...

All seriousness. Good luck getting on him.. It's always a good time to spot one...