Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just speechless

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ryan, so sorry to hear this happen! Had you succeeded getting this pig down it would have been the most impressive hunts I've ever read on any forum! You put on a hell of a stalk and by the account did everything right! I know impressing me or others is the least of your concerns but just wanted to say you beat that buck in every sense of the word "hunting"!

It was the most impressive accomplishment to get as close as you did as when Chad Gern shot a 160"er in his bed after spotting him as he climbed his tree.

Truly a remarkable feat whether you killed this deer or not! Well done!!!:smiley_clap:

I hope you get a chance of redemption Ryan....you deserve it 10 fold!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Like others have said it sucks that it didn't play out to the ending that we all would have liked, but you accomplished and experienced something today that only a handful of hunters cam say they have done. To spot and stalk a 160" class buck and even get a shot off is a feat and a accomplishment in its self.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey that sucks but he's still close by. Good look finding him for a good shot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain man! Similar thing happened to me about 8 years ago.

what a sight to see though man, you got to watch what most of us dream of watching. For what it's worth (probably not a replica lot right now) you put a stalk on a deer, watched him defend "his" doe, got close enough to get the shot off..... I'd say that's a hunt of a lifetime right there! Keep after him, you know he is there now. Redemption time!! Great read too!

Couldn't agree more. Well done Ryan. Sorry it didn't work out with you dragging that pig home with you. Keep after them!

Gordo

Athens County
Damn dude. Thats one for the ages. Just appreciatte it for what it was. Awesome fuggin encounter. Ive never been s part of something even close to that.

Something had to happen to your arrow during all that crawling/stalkimg through the thick shit??? Thats the only thing that makes sense to me

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I feel your pain man! Similar thing happened to me about 8 years ago.

what a sight to see though man, you got to watch what most of us dream of watching. For what it's worth (probably not a replica lot right now) you put a stalk on a deer, watched him defend "his" doe, got close enough to get the shot off..... I'd say that's a hunt of a lifetime right there! Keep after him, you know he is there now. Redemption time!! Great read too!

This whole post is exactly what I was gonna say, it's spot on. It was a great hunt!
And the other brother from another mother is right - this buck's name should be Redemption

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Great hunt, getting in bow range was an accomplishment in itself, and I would consider that a successful hunt even though you didn't harvest him.

He aint going anywhere, you'll get another crack at him.

teej89

NE PA
I was rooting for you as I read this loL! I was thinking the just speechless was gonna be you can't believe you killed this buck or something. Sorry man it always is a heart breaker when equipment fails. Don't let it get you down and go get em!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Like others have said it sucks that it didn't play out to the ending that we all would have liked, but you accomplished and experienced something today that only a handful of hunters cam say they have done. To spot and stalk a 160" class buck and even get a shot off is a feat and a accomplishment in its self.

x2! definately a great accomplishment and stay after him, hopefully the next meeting will have a different ending!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Great read. What an experience! Wish it would have ended with a hero shot but man what a memorable hunt.
Good luck. I hope there is a second chapter to the story.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Damn Red, that's a tough break right there. I would be cursing up a storm! Awesome hunt for sure. I've always wanted the opportunity to stalk a mature buck. I have only had the opportunity to see one bedded once. Before I could get to the ground a doe came along and they went into some pines and started breeding. Cool to see, but it ruined my chance to try to put on a stalk.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I hunted my stand where they walked in last night. It's over cut corn. I never called at all tonight. I just figured if he is locked down on her, i was gonna hunt her and hope he followed her to feed. I didnt see anything