Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kel-tec...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Gets a big thumbs up from me. They are really pushing the threshold and doing some innovating. I have another thread with the Zombie Shotgun from Hell but the have also released the PMR 30 (22 mag semi auto with 30 round mags), the RFB (.308 Bullpup that is only 26" long), all the sub models (pistol caliber carbines that fold up) and their tiny pocket pistols.

With all this they are still affordable and made in the USA. The RFB is a bit costly but they are still wildly popular and going for dumb money on GunBroker.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here is the deal though... They are limited production like the Sub 2000.. For example Kel-Tec waits until they have 1,000 people on the list and makes a run of 1,200 or so.. The extra 200 are put on the shelf and sold at a higher price.

Reason that was told to me is, Kel-Tec wants to make these cool guns for people.. But they don't want the label of flooding the street with cheap black guns where people can cash and carry a Sub 2000... Anyone who puts themselves on the waiting list, and waits months, must want it for it's coolness. Not to go on the offensive.. Because lets face it.. We can call an AR-15 a "modern sporting rifle". Give them better barrels and shoot g-hogs and yotes with them.. This somewhat legitimizes the gun in the eyes of the public as a "sporting rifle" and something that can also be used in defense of your home.... However the Sub 2000, Pup shotty, and RFB doesn't "really" have a sporting use, besides being cool and fun on the range.. But it's really one heck of an offensive / defensive weapon....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the concept. The novelty wore off with my Sub2000 when I had problems with it. Been collecting dust in the safe since. Need to send it back.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dangit Jack, we been over this. lol Light strike on the primer. Consistent placement of the firing pin, just too light to fire it off. 9mm

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Sub-2000 is readily available??? That being behind is a thing of the past for the major dealers. You can go buy at least 5 Sub2000 at Vances right now. They were way behind demand on the pocket 9's and subs. All that has caught up and now they are behind on the RFB's and PMR's.

The only complaint I have is that they say the can't keep up because they don't have the "capital" like larger companies (Ruger, Smith, Remmy) to expand their line production. I say BS. If you have a product that is this popular you can find the capital. I would invest.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The Sub-2000 is readily available??? That being behind is a thing of the past for the major dealers. You can go buy at least 5 Sub2000 at Vances right now. They were way behind demand on the pocket 9's and subs. All that has caught up and now they are behind on the RFB's and PMR's.

The only complaint I have is that they say the can't keep up because they don't have the "capital" like larger companies (Ruger, Smith, Remmy) to expand their line production. I say BS. If you have a product that is this popular you can find the capital. I would invest.

Beentown

When I called back in July Vances had one. And it was yours if you don't mind paying $375-400 for a gun that is supposed to retail $275-300, and was purchased by Vances for wholesale at $240. When I called Lipseys to ask why they were back ordered they explained to me how the sub is produced and wholesale marketed, the ones you see on the shelf are extras from the production kel-tec did to meet wait list demand. (hypothetical numbers) basically kel-tec waits until the back order reaches 1,000 guns, they then run off 1,200.. The 1,000 are spoken for, and the remaining 200 are sold to whoever through the wholesaler. Anyway... I got one with a case, 30 rd mag, 17 rd mag, and 10 rd mag for $300

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They had them in the ad for 299.99 In July they were still pretty far behind.

I think they had 40 for that sale. I was there today and they had 7 supposedly. Two that I could see.

Either way I would invest the capital and make alot more units. I wouldn't swamp the market (supply/demand, keep the buzz) but they are letting the likes of Ruger make the $ on the LCP when the P3AT was there first. People were waiting for them then went with the Ruger.

The RFB is the first true bullpup .308

If they don't step on the gas everyone else will catch up. Again.

Beentown

Last edited: