Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kentucky brain trust is banning feral swine hunting

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Im sure this is going to work wonderfully. There were LOTS of warnings in this article that sent alarm bells ringing. What exactly is a 'problematic pig hunting culture'?? Also, the gubmint is probably the last agency I want trying to regulate feral hogs. How long before these vermin infest Ohio? How long before the hogs do too?

Bigcountry40

Pigs will never infest Ohio, there are a half dozen threads explaining why this has never happened here and pigs will never get out of control in Kentucky. the state can’t control the existing residents who already live there with meth labs, illegal weed farms, tresspassing, etc. You think those boys down in the holler will let wild pigs roam around because its illegal to shoot them?

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Pigs will never infest Ohio, there are a half dozen threads explaining why this has never happened here and pigs will never get out of control in Kentucky. the state can’t control the existing residents who already live there with meth labs, illegal weed farms, tresspassing, etc. You think those boys down in the holler will let wild pigs roam around because its illegal to shoot them?
I hope you're right. Ive just learned to never say never. And to try to not underestimate the stupidity of government orgs who think they can manage something better than the free market.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Seems to apply here as well...

7140792.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The biggest problem isn't what they letting it on to be. They don't want it to become a sport. I.e guys invest money in hog dogs, boxes, etc and then have a vested interest in keeping a huntable population around. Theyre also notorious for catching fhem and releasing them on other properties they can hunt. And supposedly dispersing them when they chase them. They also dont want guys to start feeding and protecting them on private property to start an outfitting business.

In short, i believe they think if they can remove the sport aspect of it then there is nothing left but the problem piece of them. They hope this will then lead to people reporting them where they can come in and trap them to nip the problem early. Threaten people with game violations for killing them so they will report them.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
In short, i believe they think if they can remove the sport aspect of it then there is nothing left but the problem piece of them. They hope this will then lead to people reporting them where they can come in and trap them to nip the problem early. Threaten people with game violations for killing them so they will report them.
How successful do you think this will be? I'm....skeptical.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
Pretty much any group of wild hogs you find have been intentionally released. Sure there are hogs that have escaped, I've gotten a call or two about a random hog running around, but you gotta have a pair to make babies. I would assume this ban would be primarily to stop people from turning em out to hunt.

IF you want to let the Govt. peeps on your property to trap them, but I don't see any "trust" going on within that demographic. :unsure:

In one sentence they're saying trapping hogs is successful in removing them. As long as the cost of that removal isn't effecting the citizens of KY., that's fine.
However, it leads to a whole other set of questions, like:
* What are they doing with the trapped hogs?
* Again, who's paying for the manpower to trap, transportation costs, trap costs, etc.?
* What's wrong with getting the revenue for tag costs to hunt hogs?

As long as the hog population is capable of being regulated by the citizen hunters, there is no problem. There seems to be some underlying issue here, like the entire story isn't being told....on the Govt. side. :sneaky:

"The people want the Government to solve their problems, when the Government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan