Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knelly's 2021 season

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My brother sent me a picture of this buck. Asked if I’d heard about it yet? I sent him the Trail camera picture as well as the one with the arrow sticking out….. I guess you did 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Knelly

Knelly

Would you be willing to share any of the specific details regarding the total number scorable points, measurements and dressed out weight of your tremendous archery buck harvest?

I'm interested in reading about it if that's okay with you?
Absolutely!
16 scoreable (broke drop tine during velvet shedding:cry:)
182 2/8 gross
Live weight hanging was 235lbs. Didn't weigh dressed but figure around the 190-195 area
I really think this deer was only 4yrs old, maybe 5. I've watched him the last two years and he's always had a tremendous clean 10pt frame. We have one shed from his right side last year which I think contributed to the explosive growth on that side. The shed had about 3/4" of the pedicle attached on the base. From what I've read, a deep pedicle means the buck was in tip top shape at the time of shedding, a flat or caved in pedicle means they were under high stress after the rut. This shed has more of a point. I'll attach a picture of it later today along with the score sheet.

Knelly

Spent the weekend hunting with my son. Saturday morning was slow, but the evening was action packed. Rattled a nice 8pt in but he winded us at about 50 yds. With about 20 mins left of shooting light we had a doe pop out from a thicket on a trail that is about 30yds. She was acting funky like a buck was pushing her. She bolted pretty quick up the hill and a big framed buck came through too fast for me to get a good look. Looked like a 10 but not sure.
9AB8B02F-C8C7-4A5E-BB22-E47112E1A63C.jpeg

Sunday morning he had a basketball game. After a quick lunch we headed to our corn field that has a elevated ground blind. With the sleet and snow I didn’t want to sit a tree and take a chance of him getting sick before the youth gun this weekend. We had deer all evening with the biggest being a nice young 10pt. Hopefully we can get on a good one this weekend.
8C43C20B-2494-4D08-AD67-1BBE3F560FED.jpeg

06813DDB-508B-4C25-9115-2DFDE42AE1B4.jpeg

Knelly

Took Zane out for youth weekend. Was only able to hunt Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning due to basketball. Saturday started off hot. While walking into our ground blind we could hear deer running through the woods. Sounded like a buck chasing a doe. We were hunting a low swamp at the bottom of a timber hill side. They never made they’re way down to us. 10 minutes later a big 10 that I know well came by searching looking for the chase. I’m sure he could hear it. He’s a 4 yr old that broke his right G3 off early so he got a pass. The rest of the evening was slow.

Sunday morning we hunted the same spot knowing that bucks should be passing by checking scrapes. At 8:50 a doe came into view walking down towards us. A quick glance behind showed a buck was following her. He was locked down and was standing guard while she fe. It was another 10 with short 4’s that was frequenting the scrape that was 50 yds to our right. Once he came in to a shooting lane I stopped him and Zane pulled the trigger on his .44. At first I thought he was smoked knowing that Zane is a crack shot. But after watching the buck take off and then stop about 75 yds and walk towards a thicket I had doubt.

We went back to the cabin to review the footage and indeed he hit him back towards the guts. He insisted he had the cross hairs right behind the shoulder. I took his gun outside and took a shot on our 50yd target and it hit 10” to the left… Not sure how it was so off, the scope was never banged and kept cased during transport. 🤮

After waiting 6hrs and rain showers throughout the day we took up tracking with zero blood. We ended up jumping the deer within 50yds of the last time I seen him. He was moving slow so we backed out and tried to get ahead of him for another shot. Once we reached the gas line he was heading to we looked up and there he was walking across at 130yds. We just couldn’t get ahead of him. I’ll be going out today to grid search and most of Friday/Saturday. Hoping to find he because Zane is pretty tore up. He hates the thought of wounding deer like us all. He shed a few tears and I promised that we would find him.
77DD8D00-253F-4A7E-95F5-7CA2E9A7D239.jpeg

1D296354-8DF8-4F23-8AD3-C7FABEFD3AAB.jpeg

Knelly

It’s been a bit since I’ve last updated. Been grinding it out with Zane, my son, trying to get him on a buck.

Yesterday evening started off slow but the last 10 mins got pretty crazy. We seen a few does and fawns throughout the hunt, with around 10 mins of shooting light left Zane sees a buck coming from our back right through the pines. It was a small 2 yr old 8. Then he said, “Dad there’s a whole crap load of bucks coming”. There were 9 total bucks with 4 of our big boys in the group.

One by one they started filing into the food plot. The main target, which is an old 9 that shows up late season each year, was 5th in line. He’s the smallest of the 4 but definitely has the age covered. Pretty sure the first pic we have is from 2017 or 2018 as what I thought a 4 yr old.

As the group of bucks were circling around, trying to show their dominance and a few bucks sparring, the Old 9 presented a 30 yd slightly quarter to shot. Knowing we had only a few minutes left, I asked Zane to put the 30 dot right on the front crease of his left shoulder and squeeze the trigger. As the bolt hit I knew he wouldn’t go to far. A quick 40 yd track and there he laid. The bolt entered where the neck meets the shoulder and exited the second to last rib. After celebrating with some hugs and high fives we called my pops to bring the ranger. Proud of this boy for sticking it out for so long.
CE20A401-AFF7-4B67-BBF1-5FDD1679173D.jpeg

4360B087-2F85-4E0B-9478-4D0725EDDA75.jpeg

FA703A24-5817-4065-8B40-F8E68B70A800.jpeg