Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

KUIU Founder Dead

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been a big fan of KUIU's brand development work for a couple of years. Rumor is he did on a remote mountain hunt, with some rumors that it was suicide. As a former NFL player, if it was suicide, there will be more CTE talk to come. He seemingly had life by the short hairs, so it'll be interesting to hear the truth of his passing.

Screenshot_20180905-215858_Instagram.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Fan here TOO for a few years as well. Hard to believe the sad news...

I used to live in Montana so this is one of my favorite videos.

This one is with Donald Trump Jr. on a Stone Sheep hunt, also a favorite.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He was an innovator to the T. Traveled all over finding the latest high-tech fabrics, then using them to create arguably the finest hunting gear on the planet. Super high-end shit made for mountain goat and bighorn sheep hunts more than whitetail. Dude seemingly had it all. This whole suicide epidemic has me baffled and if I'm being honest, the tie to CTE is very relevant IMO. Hopefully they'll test him for it since it can only be done post mortem.

Reactions: MoonLab and Jamie

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Sounds like he’d been sensing his mental decline for a while and brain scans had revealed some serious concerns. I think he was losing his ability to function and he didn’t want to see what happened when he fully declined or the suicide was a result of the decline. Regardless, horrible situation and I pray for the best for his kids, wife and family.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very sad indeed. Tragic for a wife and children to lose their dad.

I'm still not sold on this whole CTE thing though. The science is shakey at best and while scans can identify brain issues they can't pinpoint that CTE is the culprit. The symptoms of memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, etc can come from any host of issues even genetics. Which brings up another issue as they can't explain why some people develop it while others with seemingly far worse or more concussions never have a problem. I'm not trying to disprove it as there are people a lot smarter than I who are researching it, just saying I'm still in the fence. IMO it doesn't help when the postmortem diagnosis is being done by the doctor who came up with it either. For science to lend itself to validity an independent group should be doing the autopsy diagnosis. I would also be interested in seeing tests done on people displaying the same symptoms without a history of head trauma but so far its only being done on suspect cases.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I lost 12 hours of my life to a grade 3 concussion and it took 15 years for me to fully comprehend the full, and lasting effects, of that day looked like. CTE is more about a million small hits, than a single (or a few) large ones. This is a new phenomenon brought about by technology catching up to a generation of combat athletes that truly did it for a lifetime. I'll post a link to a great documentary on the whole thing later on.

Reactions: teenbowhunter