Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ladder Stick Modification...

Fletch

Supporting Member
So I've been helping my friend with a spot in some thick second growth stuff for next year... Area has very little in the line of trees to hang a stand... There are two which one is a very large white oak... He insists on using this tree while I like the other which will be roughly 20 yds off the trail they use... I don't want the deer directly under me... The big white oak they will walk right under and if it's dropping the only white oak acorns in the area we know where they will be... But if that's what he wants that's what I'll set up... Since the trunk is not straight and has numerous big irregular areas the sticks will not work... So I got longer bolts for the bracket that goes against tree and will be adjustable... Straps will now go around the step section... All the weight should be straight down so bolts should not bend... I'll know when I put them up as I'm around 250 lbs... He's maybe 175 lbs.. What ya think????

Attachments

• PXL_20210127_211127629.jpg
    PXL_20210127_211127629.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 113

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Metal fatigue on the brackets would worry me about that Fletch.
And put some socks on old man!!!! 😂

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
It's on state land and I told him I don't want sticks back to leave them... It's not the way I'd like to do it as I'd have some steel brackets welded on but I don't know a welder and to take it somewhere it will cost .. But I'm hoping it isn't doable and we go to other tree.... So I'll see... Hey using my setup we will get needed measurements to get metal brackets made up ...

Fletch

Supporting Member
It's on state land and I told him I don't want sticks back to leave them... It's not the way I'd like to do it as I'd have some steel brackets welded on but I don't know a welder and to take it somewhere it will cost .. But I'm hoping it isn't doable and we go to other tree.... So I'll see... Hey using my setup we will get needed measurements to get metal brackets made up ...
I'll wear a parachute.... Believe me the days of doing stupid shit are long gone...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry Fletch, but I highly doubt that is going to hold up. There is a lot more lateral force put on those sticks when climbing up and down than you realize. All the weight is definitely NOT entirely straight down. What you’ve done is created a lever, which actually puts a LOT more force on that bolt at the bracket attachment than normal.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I agree with what most guys are saying. Although you may be able to strengthen it up a bit.

Let's say you want the stick to be 4" away from the bracket. Get a 3/8" x 4" galvanized nip. Slide it over the bolt or the all thread. Once tightened down, the ladder and the bracket pinch the nip. The nip shouldn't have any play, and instantly thickens and adds rigidity to the setup. Still way past manufacturers instructions, but may make it a little safer.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I agree with what most guys are saying. Although you may be able to strengthen it up a bit.

Let's say you want the stick to be 4" away from the bracket. Get a 3/8" x 4" galvanized nip. Slide it over the bolt or the all thread. Once tightened down, the ladder and the bracket pinch the nip. The nip shouldn't have any play, and instantly thickens and adds rigidity to the setup. Still way past manufacturers instructions, but may make it a little safer.
I've thought about that too... I thought of removing the one nut and taking a lenght of 1/2 inch copper tubing and a cutter in when putting up, then I could cut copper to desired lenght slip it over bolt then tighten up inside nut thus pinching bracket down on tubing adding strength... I have a bunch of 3 ft climbing sticks that work independent of each other and you can stagger them.... That's what I would do... Then an uneven trunk is no problem... Plus when done hunting I remove the bottom two sections so no one uses my stand.... But he doesn't want to use the short ones....

Reactions: Mike

Fletch

Supporting Member
Rich, I’d scrap that idea and tell your buddy too go with the tree you recommended.... Too much downside on this vs upside....
J.... I agree 110%... Like you said just too many downsides... I like the other tree better anyhow... Upside of the other tree is he can use his seat from his climber.... Guys thanks for all the input....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Do not do it Fletch. Buy the sticks that come in 32" sections and don't nest together, but work independently.

I got these at rural king on clearance a few years ago for half the price. I use them at the top of a 20ft section of sticks for added height, but they would be perfect for this case. https://www.ruralking.com/rivers-edge-grip-stick-32-inch-climbing-aid-re718

Fletch

Supporting Member
Do not do it Fletch. Buy the sticks that come in 32" sections and don't nest together, but work independently.

I got these at rural king on clearance a few years ago for half the price. I use them at the top of a 20ft section of sticks for added height, but they would be perfect for this case. https://www.ruralking.com/rivers-edge-grip-stick-32-inch-climbing-aid-re718

Fluteman.... I agree with you.... I mentioned those sticks earlier... I got about 14 of those... I love I'm.. tree doesn't have to be perfect... Here ya go... Second pic are ones I picked up at Gander Mnt for $5 each when they went out of business... Haven't been used yet....

Attachments

• PXL_20210210_233239624.jpg
    PXL_20210210_233239624.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20210210_233152983.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210210_233152983.MP.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: aholdren