Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Last weekends damage control

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here are 3 male yotes and 1 female fox from last weekend. I killed all 3 coyotes and a buddy shot the fox on Monday morning.

2 of the 3 coyotes (top 2) were extra large males, I believe they were older age class.

I will be out tomorrow trying for some more.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Dang Gern, let somebody else do the shooting :D

Right place, right time! I do my share of walking, I just happened to be the post man on these. I actually jumped the one on the bottom walking a ditch and shot it as it ran away...... actually a lot of times the guy doing the walking still has a good chance to kill something.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Were these the ones I saw or different ones? Been up for two days plowing and salting and time is blurring right now. Everything is running together.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, seems fun! Do you drive them as you would deer or do you use a little different strategy?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Dang, seems fun! Do you drive them as you would deer or do you use a little different strategy?

If we are just driving a woods blind then yes, except we whistle and hoop and hollar as we go through. If we have good tracking snow then there's no need to yell because you are on their track. Sometimes you get into a place where there are so many tracks that you can't keep them straight, like last weekend in a couple places....... they had hunted a thicket the night before and there had been at least 3 or 4 different yotes through there zigzagging. The strategies vary depending if you are in open country hunting stubble fields and ditches, or if you are hunting woods. We try to set up ahead of the coyotes and let the walker drive them out or track them out. There are never 2 situations that are the same it seems, you just have to adapt to the situation that you are dealt.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Seems like fun. I need to get permission from a few landowners with adjoining property. Might be able to burn a few around home with drives...lord knows we've got 'em!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Seems like fun. I need to get permission from a few landowners with adjoining property. Might be able to burn a few around home with drives...lord knows we've got 'em!

The landowners up here all seem to have no problem with hunting coyotes. We have a LOT of permission and it seems like a snowball effect on getting it....you talk to 1 person, they say yes, then they refer you to another person....that person says yes and you should also go talk to so and so. 95% of the landowners and farmers here will let us hunt coyotes. "Get em all" they say!

Are you hunting in Fayette county? What kind of woods/cover/fields and ditches do you have?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, Fayette (southern) and northern Highland. There are areas very similar to NW Ohio, the farther south you go into Highland Co you go, it gets a little more rolling with denser cover. The area I hunt in Fayette would be ideal for driving. I'm sure I can get permission on thousands of acres in an afternoon. Heck, my neighbor owns over 3000, and I know he'd be up for it. Jeez, just thinking about it, I am sure I could get enough spots that we'd never be able to walk it all! I should get busy on that!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern what gun you using rifle or shotgun? If Shotgun what load?

I use a Benelli Nova chambered for 3-1/2", but we buy Remington BUCKSHOT # 4 BUCK by the case, so that's what we all shoot. My uncles shoot a Remington 1187 and an 1100 both in 12 gauge.

We are heading south into coyote territory in about 20 minutes, going to be a cold day!