Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leaving the stand.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We built fourwheeler trails at the land we used to hunt and it did make for a great enter/exit. And after about a year, the deer used the fourwheeler trails just as much if not more than regular deer trails.

We've made passes in the thick stuff with 4 wheelers and made sure that it was knocked down real good and low and behold they've been using them from the start.... We make the trail go where we want them to go lol.... Has been working pretty good so far....

saddlepants

central Ohio
Down in Coshocton county we used to take a day before the rut and leaf blow all the trails. Either walking or one person sittin on the front of the quad. The deer actually would use the trail right to the stands because they like to "quiet walk" too.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Down in Coshocton county we used to take a day before the rut and leaf blow all the trails. Either walking or one person sittin on the front of the quad. The deer actually would use the trail right to the stands because they like to "quiet walk" too.
I thought i was dumb to even think about this! I've contemplated it before but never given it a try..good thought SP

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I thought i was dumb to even think about this! I've contemplated it before but never given it a try..good thought SP

I've done that as well, along with raking. They say deer are attracted to exposed dirt and I have seen that when raking trails to stands. It's almost automatic that deer will walk on that trail. I don't know how true that old adage is, but it makes sense when you think about scrapes and such. And it stands to reason, nervous deer would like a quiet walk!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've done that as well, along with raking. They say deer are attracted to exposed dirt and I have seen that when raking trails to stands. It's almost automatic that deer will walk on that trail. I don't know how true that old adage is, but it makes sense when you think about scrapes and such. And it stands to reason, nervous deer would like a quiet walk!

Absolutely. I've even contemplated just running a tiller and making a pass by my stands, without planting anything, for this reason. In Medina County, the most common sewage treatment system installed is a mounded leaching system, which is basically a mound of concrete sand covered in topsoil. I'd say at about 98% of the inspections I conduct before the topsoil goes on, the sand mound is riddled with fresh deer tracks. There's just something about fresh, bare sand or soil that sparks a whitetail's interest. It's strange that's for sure.

Jesse said:
I'm not on a dead sprint, nor am I overly careless, but I do my best to mesh stealth with speed so I can get out ASAP...
I used to hunt with a guy near Hastings, Michigan, that believed in this method of getting in and out of the woods. He killed a silly amount of huge bucks.

I don't continuously walk...stop and start, to be able to hear what's going on around me, both in and out. However, after reading some of these replies, this might be seen as a predator by the game critters. A human is the only critter that continuously walks without stopping, in the woods. I guess, the thing to do is whatever's working for the individual. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

epe

Lancaster
I do stop and go in and out in my wood spots. On the way out of our field spots I go thru the middle without stopping. Geese seem to be the same as deer. Keep walking at a good pace. Stop and act suspiciously, they are gone.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I used to hunt with a guy near Hastings, Michigan, that believed in this method of getting in and out of the woods. He killed a silly amount of huge bucks.

I don't continuously walk...stop and start, to be able to hear what's going on around me, both in and out. However, after reading some of these replies, this might be seen as a predator by the game critters. A human is the only critter that continuously walks without stopping, in the woods. I guess, the thing to do is whatever's working for the individual. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

Thats exacttly what I said I was was doing when I was lucky enough to hang bucks on my wall every year and give away does I had so many - only I found a small one handed turkey call box (the egg , i think it was) and would make cuts and clucks as i went...but I was in heavy turkey land. did a little shuffellin on the way too. I heard one guy say he would bound through the woods after dark??? geesh Id fall on my butt!!

There's not enough turkeys around here, for a turkey call to fool a deer and me get away with it. :smiley_depressive:

One day last week, it started raining right at dark. So I got down, packed up my stuff and started hustling out of the woods to keep from getting totally soaked. I was almost out of the woods when I heard a deer grunt (deeper sounding) and then another one grunted (not as deep sounding) that was about 50 yards further to my left. Apparently, they'd heard my approach and were attempting to establish where each other were, so as to confirm that I was or wasn't a deer. (It was a new moon and it was black dark)

Looking back, I probably should've stood there and grunted too, to keep from having spooked them. However, that may have made them walk toward my position and created another problem. In either case, I kept walking, they snorted and bounded off. Oh well...another day another way. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57