Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lets see them

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Welcome and nice job on your buck harvest!

My first deer harvest was a 6pt buck in 1982 within the Adirondack Mountains of NY. Two seasons after that, I harvested a 10pt in the Cicero Swamp Wildlife Management Area, NY, both public hunting areas by way of shotgun. One northertier and the other southerntier. Unfortenately, I don't have any photos of them handy. I believe they're stuck in one of family member's photo album, I just don't recall who's exactly. They got left behind when I joined the armed services shortly after my second buck harvest. Your thread just might inspire me to track them down.

Bigcountry40

I have killed double digit deer ( can't remember the exact #) on state land including North and South Carolina and an elk in Colorado. I killed a 10 point opening day of gun season at woodbury back in 2013 (I think that was the year).

Bigcountry40

This thread got me thinking of the counties I have killed deer in Ohio (private or public). Fulton, Sandusky, Seneca, Erie, Scioto, Huron, Harrison, Tuscarwaras, Coschocton, Portage, Holmes and will add Richland to that list this year. 12 counties with kills, had the opportunity to kill a deer in Ashland past and never seen a thing the one time I hunted Adams. Maybe Ill get the an opportunity as Strouds this year!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
This thread got me thinking of the counties I have killed deer in Ohio (private or public). Fulton, Sandusky, Seneca, Erie, Scioto, Huron, Harrison, Tuscarwaras, Coschocton, Portage, Holmes and will add Richland to that list this year. 12 counties with kills, had the opportunity to kill a deer in Ashland past and never seen a thing the one time I hunted Adams. Maybe Ill get the an opportunity as Strouds this year!
Gotta show up to make that happen.

Bigcountry40

Passed not past- fuggin auto correct on my phone- figured I better correct myself before Dustin does

Jamie

Ohio
I've killed a few big game animals on public land. used to hunt public here at home a lot before it got overrun with people hunting in archery season.
Delaware Park October 1996
IMG_3053.jpg

Alum Creek State Park November 1996
IMG_3052.JPG

Delaware Park 12/5/97 my first deer with a home made bow.
IMG_3055.jpg

Sierra Nevada high country, northern California August 2001
IMG_3056.jpg

Delaware Park 12/17/2004
IMG_3057.jpg

Jburris

View attachment 105617View attachment 105618View attachment 105619View attachment 105620View attachment 105621View attachment 105622View attachment 105623View attachment 105626View attachment 105627View attachment 105628
I get most of my harvests on public. Only private land I hunt is 29 acres I own in Ohio and 15 acres in NJ....but still hunt more on state land in Jersey than the private.
Goals lol nice harvest tho public is all i got right now but hopefully one day I'll get some private land of my own to manage

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Goals lol nice harvest tho public is all i got right now but hopefully one day I'll get some private land of my own to manage
In the 80’s and 90’s about 90% of the land I hunted was private....they are now either leased, housing developments or bought by the state and are now public. Today I hunt 90% public land. I had over 20 spots on private land back then but lost every single one of them. State land is productive but takes years to find the good spots that others miss. When I scout public land, I look for signs of other hunters as much as I look for deer sign. If I find sign of other hunters nearby, I’ll back out and look elsewhere. Even with your own land, you can control access, but pressure from neighbors will make or break a spot. Take your time and find a spot with great neighbors or a no hunting area next to it and you’ll have less headaches. Good luck!👍

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
That’s a beautiful green wing teal...did you get it mounted? Every one I’ve gotten in Jersey was always molting...by the time they get the full plumage, they are already passed and down south. They are one of the first ones to migrate.

Reactions: Dustinb80

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That’s a beautiful green wing teal...did you get it mounted? Every one I’ve gotten in Jersey was always molting...by the time they get the full plumage, they are already passed and down south. They are one of the first ones to migrate.
I shot that bird in December of 2017 I believe. I had it in the freezer to be mounted. Sadly, that never happened and it eventually got tossed. Stupid stupid stupid. Should’ve just eaten the tasty little bugger. I just can’t ever bring myself to spend money mounting birds.