Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Let's talk about RELOADING, particularly about TUMBLING

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Maybe this is rookie misconception but can you use your old brass if you save it?

Yep. That's why you need a tumbler to clean it.
And that's why you see guys picking up their brass at the range.

It doesn't have an unlimited life though. I'd like to hear someone else chime in as to how many times a piece of brass can safely be reloaded.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep. That's why you need a tumbler to clean it.
And that's why you see guys picking up their brass at the range.

It doesn't have an unlimited life though. I'd like to hear someone else chime in as to how many times a piece of brass can safely be reloaded.
Pistol depends on the round but expect around 7.

Rifle, again it depends. Average rounds (like 308) you get around 10 loads before a neck splits or a case seperates.

I don't load hot (above SAAMI). Usually around 90% of max.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Threw together 500 plinkers today.

24.2gr of TAC
55gr Xtreme
CCI primers
2.25 OAL

OO2

In the Uplands
Very cool! Looks good!

Now if you had to put a number on what it took you to produce 500 what would it be?

On the same note, what would it cost you to purchase 500 rounds that are similar in quality and performance?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I just thought of something I forgot to mention in the start up costs... Investing in good reloading manuals. Lyman, Lee, Speer. And one alone doesn't do it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Very cool! Looks good!

Now if you had to put a number on what it took you to produce 500 what would it be?

On the same note, what would it cost you to purchase 500 rounds that are similar in quality and performance?
Brass - this was scrounged (free) but let's call it $40
Bullets - $40/500
Primers - $17/500
Powder - $56....took 2 pounds

So this 500 would normally cost $153 if you didn't have brass. $113 if you did have brass. It is much better quality than any plinking rounds.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Start up costs can be really low. I recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press 4 hole. Press, dies, accesories all in would be $300ish. You can start WAY cheaper with a single stage but most add another press pretty quickly and you don't need to that with the Lee Turret.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I started on Lee single stage and still use it. I've heard the turret press is nice and getting one is probably good advice but I've never used one.

I own three reloading manuals Speer. Lee and Lyman. I added the ebook version of the hornady book and that's gotten me by on anything I've wanted to load or look up.

Lee die sets also come with some reloading data.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
1. DO NOT buy a Harbor Freight unless you purchase the extended warranty. They have a counter weight on the motor shaft to make it shake. The motor bearings will wear out quickly and the motor will freeze.
Lyman and Vibra shine are good ones without the HF problem. I use ground corncob that cost $3 a bag of 5 pounds at gun shows.
The trick is adding drops of Brasso to the media.

Dies and Die parts? Lee carbide pistol dies with shell holders are great and are cheaper than RCBS. RCBS are Caddilac of dies, I buy used dies when the price is right at gun shows, flea markets and garage sales at prices like $5-15 even if I don't have a gun in that caliber.

Press- started with an RCBS junior kit for $59.00 from Midway in 1979. You do not need a Rock Chucker. But I hit an auction last summer and the Rock chucker was not advertised. I got everything you need to reload including 3 sets of dies, bullets brass, primers, reloading books. some powder, and powder dispensor, scale primer feed, lube pad, lube.. Paid $20 for one box, $100 for the box that had the press.
$120 for about $650 of equipment. This auction had about 40 motorcycles, a corvette, 56 Ford and thousands of tools. Got lucky no one else wanted the Rockchucker.

Do check EBAY for prices on reloading stuff.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I got a lee single stage press, I like it because I only do about 50 rounds at a time. I can take my time and make sure everything is perfect! I need to venture out beyond my loads that I make and start trying different bullets brands and weights, along with powder type!