Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Woke up early and was tired. Woke back up at the crack of dawn and hurriedly headed out. Park the truck and stood outside to listen. Birds were singing and owls were hooting but heard no gobbling. Went to another spot to listen but got the same result. Drove the road through and pulled up on a hen in the rod. She walked in the woods as I sat there in the truck. A few minutes later she crossed back right in front of the road to cross back. I drove through and hit the store for some fried chicken and a Dr Pepper.
Left the store and headed to the property to look around and pull all the cams out. As I approached my gate that’s on the bayou I heard a giant splash. I stood there for a couple minutes and this big gator started swimming away. Took some video and continued on the the property.
58BADDED-F2C2-435B-9F71-95DAE3172908.png

Walked my atv trail gathering cams and kinda looking for sheds (none seen). Jumped a few different deer and walked out.
Decided to drive back through the management area and seen another hen on the road and I looked way up and there was a strutter on the road about 1/2 mile up or so. Grabbed my binoculars and sure enough a big Tom and hen up there. I watch as he bred the hen and she left him so I pulled up some and he started walking and entered the same side…..note taken it’s 4:30 pm.

Came back to the camp and had a push mower at a friends camp. Cut the grass around 4 camps that are coming up to Turkey hunt. Cooked some I stand mash potatoes and a cowboy pork steak. Hitting a different spot in the morning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Woke up early and was tired. Woke back up at the crack of dawn and hurriedly headed out. Park the truck and stood outside to listen. Birds were singing and owls were hooting but heard no gobbling. Went to another spot to listen but got the same result. Drove the road through and pulled up on a hen in the rod. She walked in the woods as I sat there in the truck. A few minutes later she crossed back right in front of the road to cross back. I drove through and hit the store for some fried chicken and a Dr Pepper.
Left the store and headed to the property to look around and pull all the cams out. As I approached my gate that’s on the bayou I heard a giant splash. I stood there for a couple minutes and this big gator started swimming away. Took some video and continued on the the property. View attachment 175984
Walked my atv trail gathering cams and kinda looking for sheds (none seen). Jumped a few different deer and walked out.
Decided to drive back through the management area and seen another hen on the road and I looked way up and there was a strutter on the road about 1/2 mile up or so. Grabbed my binoculars and sure enough a big Tom and hen up there. I watch as he bred the hen and she left him so I pulled up some and he started walking and entered the same side…..note taken it’s 4:30 pm.

Came back to the camp and had a push mower at a friends camp. Cut the grass around 4 camps that are coming up to Turkey hunt. Cooked some I stand mash potatoes and a cowboy pork steak. Hitting a different spot in the morning.

Pretty quiet and henned up bad huh? Well, good luck and keep at it, they'll get lonely at some point.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Had a successful scouting trip this morning. Heard 4 different Tom’s and one walked out on me 30 yards away on trail. Wrong time not to be open, I’d be back at the truck w bird in hand at 7:15. Also seen a hen after he crossed. Driving back I pulled on a gas line rd and there should a hamma. Had to be 3’ tall w a big ole rope. Not gonna hunt there as it will need a valet attendant for parking.
91C75C59-07F1-4B8D-B078-F224C80B04A0.jpeg
C4A0EFA7-FDF9-46D0-98CF-C49E81DF6AF3.jpeg

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Was out there an hour before dark listening. Day started to break and I heard a bird about half mile away. We were fixing to make a move, but then boom…..big gobbler right behind us and across the river, started gobbling his fool head off. We set up and listen to another behind him and a bird on my buddy’s place about 3/4 a mile away. The bird was about to fly down and two hunters came walking up on us. Hunter could’ve almost spit on the guy when I took my hat off and waived it. He seen me and both about faced and left. The bird shut up. So it was got back to the house or push in deeper to try the one half mile off. Well only 9 days to hunt here, 30 days on my buddy’s place, so we took off and headed deeper on public land. We cut some distance, set up and make a couple calls. He never heard us but gobbled again……Hunter heard him but me and Whit didn’t we pushed in further but never got on him. Came back to the boat and arrived at Whit’s house. It’s 12 now and he checks his phone and his cam sent him 3 Tom’s on his place at 9. Told him thanks and left w intentions to go where I had birds located but the road was blocked. Couldn’t pass, I measured out how far a walk it would be and go 2.8. Told Hunter how far and asked him if he was bout it? He said nah. He don’t have Turkey fever yet. So we decided to hit another place where him and Dj hunts and seen turkeys a good bit.
F6877B76-6BD5-4C3C-8BB6-862712BD5441.png
B250AB85-7F74-4ED1-AD4B-9AE89CA5FDB5.jpeg

Arrived at the new place and struck in. Figured we could maybe get on a bird, find some sheds and a new place to deer hunt. Walked about a mile in the CRP to almost the river, running and gunning. I had just called and we walked about 40 yards and I spot a Tom. Told hunter to freeze and we stood there between the rows of trees out in the open and standing it water. I purred and gave a sold short yelp. There seemed to be 3 Tom’s and a hen we never seen but heard her call. One comes over the slight rise and is looking. I told Hunter to get ready. Well 10 minutes goes by and he closes the gap to about 45 yards and is behind a line of trees for Hunter, but I can see him as I’m a step to the side behind him 6’. My gun is over my back, I didn’t intend on shooting. The bird is a Jake but Hunter don’t care. I said shoot him if you want. Finally gives him a shot and whispers is it in range, I said take his head off. Boom and the flipping starts. Told him to walk over and stand on his head. Took some pics and we talked about everything and how it wasn’t textbook. I asked him how you feel about Turkey hunting now, he was all grins. I said see I told you and just think if you was set up right and he’s gobbling in your face and you can feel it in your chest.
C9999C21-1A8E-4092-AEF4-02801E6BFE77.jpeg
0C109462-641B-4A09-AC93-CA50BB31B5DF.jpeg

I’m one proud dad!