Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Freaking awesome man! Buck never knew what hit him. Love that they got it on film too.

Glad they made it fine after smacking a hole in the boat. No matter how awesome a day it can get sideways out there real quick. They still haven't found those the two boys from our side of the river over by my parents. A few days before Christmas they went out to scout sloughs for ducks on the river by Davis island. Theory is they hit a submerged jetti hugging the bank on the way back about dark. They found the boat with the motor foot ripped plum off and most of their things scattered down the banks including two life jackets. They still haven't found them or their dog. They're still out there looking every day but have moved the search further down the river.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Freaking awesome man! Buck never knew what hit him. Love that they got it on film too.

Glad they made it fine after smacking a hole in the boat. No matter how awesome a day it can get sideways out there real quick. They still haven't found those the two boys from our side of the river over by my parents. A few days before Christmas they went out to scout sloughs for ducks on the river by Davis island. Theory is they hit a submerged jetti hugging the bank on the way back about dark. They found the boat with the motor foot ripped plum off and most of their things scattered down the banks including two life jackets. They still haven't found them or their dog. They're still out there looking every day but have moved the search further down the river.
Damn, hate too hear that Joe.... Sucks that it spins outta control just that fast.... Lifejackets only work if you wear em.... Saved my ass a couple times over the years...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That ole river plays for keeps. After my kayak incident while duck hunting a few years back you won't see me not wearing one.
Iā€™ve wore mine 99.9% of the time for 40 years.... 41 years ago some asshat handed me a motorcycle helmet while getting into his boat while fishing a tournament. I was like WTF? I learned that day, some folks have no regard for life.... Wore my preserver religiously ever since....

Reactions: Big_Holla

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We wear them all the time even when not required. Itā€™s the cheapest life insurance policy you can have use besides a smoke detector. Itā€™s amazing the chances people take with their lives but will be insurance poor paying for car and house insurance. You can replace an item but never replace your life.

Iā€™m in the business of saving lives, I see some real stupid shit thatā€™s totally avoidable. PFDā€™s are a must!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We wear them all the time even when not required. Itā€™s the cheapest life insurance policy you can have use besides a smoke detector. Itā€™s amazing the chances people take with their lives but will be insurance poor paying for car and house insurance. You can replace an item but never replace your life.

Iā€™m in the business of saving lives, I see some real stupid shit thatā€™s totally avoidable. PFDā€™s are a must!
Amen brother!!!!

Reactions: triple_duece

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I remember reading about that about a year ago...that was some scary shit! You never did get your gun back, did you?

Nope. Still at the bottom to this day. My wife bought me the exact same gun that Christmas though. Partially because she's awesome, partially because she was likely tired of me going back out there trying to recover it. šŸ˜‚

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Absolutely! Pretty telling about the scope of the accident if the lab didn't make it either.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Iā€™ve wore mine 99.9% of the time for 40 years.... 41 years ago some asshat handed me a motorcycle helmet while getting into his boat while fishing a tournament. I was like WTF? I learned that day, some folks have no regard for life.... Wore my preserver religiously ever since....
A buddy of mine, whom Iā€™ll never get into a boat with again, took me on the Delaware river for a bass tournament...60mph over 2-3 foot waves...not only did it scare the fuck out of me, it was very painful. My back hurt for weeks afterwards. Life vests are a must, but when youā€™re with someone with no regard for life, youā€™re better off declining future fishing invites.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Our guns while in boat are in floating gun cases.....see the pattern?

It was a high right to left shot that rolled the kayak. Well. Didn't roll it, it started taking water over the side and once that happens its damn near impossible to stop quick enough. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Wasnā€™t being judgmental, just have to expect the worst and plan for the best when on the water. Current and muddy waters are the worst, cold water complicates things. Even water as high as 80 degrees.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I keep going back and watching that video. That Xbow is seriously quiet as hell.
The rest of the story goes like this. They got to the first brake and hunter says he smells hogs. They cross and are slipping through to the next slough another 200 yards deeper in. They thought they heard something walking and crouched down. A doe passes but in the palmettos 20 yards in. They looking around and catch this buck 40 yards away following. Hunter pulls his phone out and starts videoing. The rest is history.

so hunter tells me the hit something and was taking on water. They just think to haul ass and bail. I tell him you couldā€™ve stuffed a shirt, stick or even stand on the hole if it was in a place where you could get to it. He tells me ā€œI didnā€™t even think of thatā€.

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wasnā€™t being judgmental, just have to expect the worst and plan for the best when on the water. Current and muddy waters are the worst, cold water complicates things. Even water as high as 80 degrees.

None taken bud. Learned a valuable lesson that day. It's the stuff that you never expect that will get you in a bad situation, and the little things can save your life.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
so hunter tells me the hit something and was taking on water. They just think to haul ass and bail. I tell him you couldā€™ve stuffed a shirt, stick or even stand on the hole if it was in a place where you could get to it. He tells me ā€œI didnā€™t even think of thatā€.

Anything to slow the free flow of water. Wood construction shims are great at temporarily plugging cracks and gashes. But who has those laying around in the boat? šŸ˜…. Jam a shirt in that sucker and put your foot on it. Pretty smart of them to pull the plug while running though. Most wouldn't have thought of that so ya can't be too hard on them for doing the ole butter bowl race back to the landing. šŸ˜