Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I slipped out to go eat, shit and get something to drink. Uploading the deer action videos as I type. Definitely a fun first half. Going to head back out as soon as possible because, well,,, you know why if you've been paying any attention to this thread this morning.

Meet 'SHYBUCK'. He's a local funny guy :LOL:
20201106_121731.jpg

Well gentleman for my first deer I’ve succeeded. Came in to “the can” around 10am. Hung around for 15 minutes and gave me a shot from 15 yards out of my blind. Couldn’t be more happy with my first harvest. Been a long journey from last year. Learned a lot. Best part is it was on my property. Even more special feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

Well gentleman for my first deer I’ve succeeded. Came in to “the can” around 10am. Hung around for 15 minutes and gave me a shot from 15 yards out of my blind. Couldn’t be more happy with my first harvest. Been a long journey from last year. Learned a lot. Best part is it was on my property. Even more special feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on your first buck! Nicely done!👍

Are you hunting a wide open area or are you close to cover/bedding/browse? If you are a long way from these 3 things you probably aren’t ever going to see much. That’s about the only answer I have unless they somehow know you are there. After 12 empty sits I would be going elsewhere.
I’m hunting the edge of a cut cornfield with a creek on my left, cut corn on my right, and a heavily used deer trail at a bend. There’s does on cam all night. Lots of deer but only at night. It’s a 20 acre farm so I don’t have many options on it. I’ve hunted the backside of it with a corner where there is a creek and standing corn in the other farm behind me. Same thing, lots of does but all at night. I can’t push into the other farm because I don’t have permission. Our deer are not active during the day and I’m not seeing the bucks coming in on the cams after the does push through. I’ve hunted for 27 years and have never had a season like this. We just sold our land and cabin in southern Ohio and this is my first year at this new farm. The deer are there, they just aren’t moving during daylight. And the farm owner says no one hunts the farm behind me so there shouldn’t be any pressure. Is that standing corn holding them and keeping them from coming over to my farm? It’s just weird all around!

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Late to posting but service sucked. Got up early and hit some public, left my stand in the truck and sat on the ground. Slipped into the spot I’ve hunted in years past a little later than what I would’ve liked but I saw 4 bucks (two shooters) and a doe. Action tapered off around 10:30 so I chose to drive around the property and do a little hiking. Have a pretty idea of where I’ll be tomorrow evening 👍🏼

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I’m hunting the edge of a cut cornfield with a creek on my left, cut corn on my right, and a heavily used deer trail at a bend. There’s does on cam all night. Lots of deer but only at night. It’s a 20 acre farm so I don’t have many options on it. I’ve hunted the backside of it with a corner where there is a creek and standing corn in the other farm behind me. Same thing, lots of does but all at night. I can’t push into the other farm because I don’t have permission. Our deer are not active during the day and I’m not seeing the bucks coming in on the cams after the does push through. I’ve hunted for 27 years and have never had a season like this. We just sold our land and cabin in southern Ohio and this is my first year at this new farm. The deer are there, they just aren’t moving during daylight. And the farm owner says no one hunts the farm behind me so there shouldn’t be any pressure. Is that standing corn holding them and keeping them from coming over to my farm? It’s just weird all around!
They are in the corn or somewhere else. I’m firm believer in deer don’t go completely nocturnal. They might not travel outside of a secluded thicket during daylight but they aren’t bedded all day. They need to browse every so often.
Some farms just don’t produce. I’ve been down the road too. Find another property, keep trying that one or spend time with your family instead.