Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
In box, nice and cold with a 12 mph wind.
72255787-628E-478C-ACF7-CB0A82BF97B2.jpeg
35503BFA-1A75-430A-AE27-0FF75BEDDEFC.jpeg

Also where do I go to see my ranking in the worst deer hunter in Ohio contest? I have to be moving up.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Another all day sit in the blind today and I did not see my first deer until the last hour and all the way up until quitting time, which were seven antlerless. Nearly all were within bow range, plus some turkeys that surrounded my blind, literally, just outside my blind, nearly up against it, to the point where I could not even get any kind of a photograph of them because they were that close to me, however, you'll get to hear them within the following video where I filmed the last three deer and a couple of snap shots of the first pair that stepped out, all over the course of that last hour of today's hunting.

The reason why I'm so late tonight is because I helped out an old timer, a stranger and a fellow hunter. He shot a deer at last light and I ended up tracking the doe after meeting him at his pickup truck. He was hunting fairly close to me, which I was on my way home anyways. I ended up dragging the deer out to his truck and field dressed it for him. He was totally thrilled with the help. Apparently, it was his first deer harvest in a few years and he was all jacked up over it, as happy as can be and I got more than a few chuckles out of his reaction to it all. He most definitely talked my ear off the entire time, right from the moment I first met him, which was just after quitting time, until we said our last good-byes, which was an hour ago. Super nice guy that came down from Columbus all by himself to get an evening deer hunt in. I was just glad that I was able to help the poor guy out cause he still would've been out there working on her in the freezing cold if I wasn't around, no doubt about it because I could tell he was more than just a bit rusty on what to do after he shot the deer.

Anyways,,,

I'll be putting in another all-day'er in once again tomorrow, back inside the ground blind due the forecasted wind, especially now that the deer herd can make their way off the North Ridge and back over yesterday's & last night's swollen main creek once again, which puts them straight out in front of me, as always planned. I hope something decent with antlers follows them out the next time. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20201202_073218.jpg

Quiet so far at my latest homestead for the past two days, going for another all day hunt today.

It's chilly, and I brought me a thermos full of venison chilly for lunch, along with some other munchy stuff.

I expect something to happen sometime today or tomorrow. Second rut should be in full swing at any moment. Deer action should hopefully pick back up.

Anyways,,,

Good luck to anyone that's riding it out today!

Edit: Here's a better photo of that massive tree rub that is straight out in front of me @45yrds., where I believe one, if not both, of those shooter bucks I saw last Friday, fighting, came from.

20201202_074838.jpg

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It crazy how dead it is here this year, not only during the day but night also. I have had a few bucks at the feeders at night over the past month, but none the past 2 weeks. Almost no activity doe or buck, strange never seen it like this.

I think someone stole all my deer. Lol
And it’ll pick up right before muzzle loader season and drop off during 😂