Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE! From the Stand 2023-2024 Edition

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Anybody got a good way to get deer out of a field at night when you are ready to climb down? Thinking about bringing along coyote call.
Call someone to come pick you up if the field is assessable from road. Truck/side by side/quad if possible. Have them drive through middle of field to your stand and drive you straight out and no talking and you’ll be fine. 👍🏻

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Well last night was a long night but it was the right decision to let him lay. About 4 yesterday a spike was pushing does through a bedding area. They started taking off everywhere and as I was watching the spike I heard a deep grunt. Looked to my right and see a good buck coming up the saddle. He turns right and I draw my bow. He’s going to cross at 25 to check a doe. All of a sudden he spins around to my left to check another doe but starts running. I ended up having to yell to get him to stop before he went into thick bedding. He was quartered away and front leg was back. I aimed back a bit and saw my arrow hit back but deflect straight down through the guts. He ran 20 yards into the thicket and bedded. He stood up after 30 minutes and staggered off. I had last saw him at about 70 yards and I could see I hit gut. At dark I snuck out. Shot a text to Rick and he confirmed my thought that the arrow deflected off a rib but likely still caught a little lung and liver. He said to wait until the morning and let him know but he had a good feeling about it. Went to where I first saw him bed this morning and found two more beds along the trail. Blood trail was very easy to follow. Never lost blood and found him stiff as a board in his bed 98 yards from the shot. I was worried about coyotes last night so I ripped off my boxers and hung them in a tree. Lol needless to say the coyotes didn’t touch him. I found this guys sheds last year with my dad and had several encounters with him last year. Thought he disappeared because I didn’t have a picture of him all year. Unfortunately, he broke off his g2 on the right but he’s still a heck of a deer. On the way out I found a deer that had been missing since August. It was a bummer because it’s a deer I’d been watching for two years that had a ton of potential. Not sure what happened as he was still in velvet so I’m guessing car or coyotes. Well that ends my buck deer hunting in Ohio for 2023. All in all I had a great hunt with just as good of an outcome. View attachment 187302
Beautiful buck, nicely done!
Great deer and great move waiting till next day. Even better idea to hang your boxers to ward off yotes, never thought of going that far. Lol
Agreed, never thought of it.... where did you get the idea from?

Stressless

Keene, OH
@Shoot-straight congrats on a dandy.

On the other side of the spectrum, found a gut shot lil 8pt walking back today kinda mid property, txt the neighbors/outfitter (Cliff def dint shoot it) so it'll go on the barn with the other deadhead. Been dead 30-48hrs, meat had spoiled.

I agreed with @brock leaving one arrow shot nowadays, with dogs and drones available is despicable.

20231107_123449.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We hunted this morning and the only thing we seen was a squirrel hunter and his dog. Dj said he had 30 squirrels by him and so did I. His dog came running djs way and squirrels ran everywhere barking. His dog well not so much. Dj tried to alert him so he doesn’t get shot. Well they worked my way and his dog had one treed 50 yards from me. I could see them both and I whistled at him several times but he never heard me. Finally I said “hey” and he walked over to me. He said sorry but there wasn’t a truck at the parking lot. Was my truck stolen or did he come from another direction? I told him no big deal and to push on through, what could it hurt. Deer wasn’t moving anyway figured I’d have to kill one running. So homie collects his dog and goes down the ridge and across the creek boardering a high grass field and a block of woods. The rest of the late morning I heard his dog bark twice w no shots fired. We hunted over there and had just as many squirrels. We could’ve filled my long bed up with squirrels on this whole trip but oh well 😂. Got back to Dave’s and we are packing for home. When Dave gets home we taking the 12 hour drive south with tail tucked and fat tags 🤣.
I guess we wasn’t bad non resident hunters. No small deer or does were harmed and we didn’t see a “cull”….Brock 😂

LonewolfNopack

The woods
We hunted this morning and the only thing we seen was a squirrel hunter and his dog. Dj said he had 30 squirrels by him and so did I. His dog came running djs way and squirrels ran everywhere barking. His dog well not so much. Dj tried to alert him so he doesn’t get shot. Well they worked my way and his dog had one treed 50 yards from me. I could see them both and I whistled at him several times but he never heard me. Finally I said “hey” and he walked over to me. He said sorry but there wasn’t a truck at the parking lot. Was my truck stolen or did he come from another direction? I told him no big deal and to push on through, what could it hurt. Deer wasn’t moving anyway figured I’d have to kill one running. So homie collects his dog and goes down the ridge and across the creek boardering a high grass field and a block of woods. The rest of the late morning I heard his dog bark twice w no shots fired. We hunted over there and had just as many squirrels. We could’ve filled my long bed up with squirrels on this whole trip but oh well 😂. Got back to Dave’s and we are packing for home. When Dave gets home we taking the 12 hour drive south with tail tucked and fat tags 🤣.
I guess we wasn’t bad non resident hunters. No small deer or does were harmed and we didn’t see a “cull”….Brock 😂
Send coordinates for the squirrels.