Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lone Wolf Climbers

I have one and use it a lot, before the lone wolf I used a loggy bayou.
pros, it is light, quiet, packs nice, if the seat is adjusted properly it is very comfortable.
Also although I'm sure it is not suggested I re-adjust the climbing band on my way up.
I also have the longer bands so I can climb a very large tree.
These stands don't tear up the tree like some climbers, it leaves marks on some trees but not to bad.

Cons, the seat assembly hangs so you can hit your bow on it. They are very expensive.

Greg

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I used a buddy's one time and "kinda" liked it. They have their redeeming qualities and I'm thinking it would be nice to have one in the arsenal. Great for long hikes. Wouldn't be my preferred mobile set-up due to the classic "climber restrictions" when it comes to tree selection. But they are nice if you have lots of good places to use a climber...

Diablo54

Outside
I have a lone wolf. I use it about 75 percent of the time that i hunt. Really light weight and easy to pack in and out. I have a system that takes me 28 seconds from the time my feet hit the ground out of my climber to when it is on my back walking out. Pretty slick. I made a second bow holder for it because it only came with a bow holder for a compound that works pretty well. The climer I have is 5 or 6 years old. It was my dads for a few years before I started hunting. My dad has a 2 year old one it is about the same design but the seat is a bit of a nuissance. We have killed alot of deer out of those. Don't know what I would do without it. I feel safer in that stand then I do in any other stand whether it be hang on or ladder. Maybe it's just the bar around the front. The bar can be pulled up for gun hunting or to rest your arms on. Or it can be down for climbing/bowhunting. I also postition my climber away from where I think the deer will come. Then I sit on the climbing bar and look backwards looking for deer. I would rather spend an all day sit in my climber then my hangon's because it is so comfortable.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I had one TF but found I was not a fan of "climbers". What I did like was the way you could tie the seat and platform together. Made it solid as a rock. :smiley_cheer:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I have one and love it.The only downside is cost..It is my stand of choice for all day sits...I Replaced the seat with a fishnet sling seat from some place I found on ebay...It paks well, climbs easily and quietly...I can get in some pretty gnarly and crooked trees with mine...It is easy to adjust the band as you climb. I usally leave mine loose while climbing so I can get around knots and broke off limbs...If something happened to mine I would buy another the next day....If you shop around and are patient U can probably find one used.

I have one and love it.The only downside is cost..It is my stand of choice for all day sits...I Replaced the seat with a fishnet sling seat from some place I found on ebay...It paks well, climbs easily and quietly...I can get in some pretty gnarly and crooked trees with mine...It is easy to adjust the band as you climb. I usally leave mine loose while climbing so I can get around knots and broke off limbs...If something happened to mine I would buy another the next day....If you shop around and are patient U can probably find one used.

I think the fishnet seat would be great, was it made for your stand or did you modify it?
do you have a name brand or any thing?

I never thought about just leaving the band loose until i got where I wanted to be then adjusting. that is a good idea. It just makes me nervous sitting in the seat only while I adjust the band.
I am in the habit now of putting it on the tree climbing a couple times then adjusting the band so I can get higher.

Thanks Greg

Diablo54

Outside
Yes I adjust the platform, I just lift it up with the straps flip open the lever and shove the band in or out. lower it back down and start climbing again.

Greg

I've always adjusted the top one but never the bottom one. Would be really helpfull but kinda dangerous. So you tighten the two straps so it cant fall very far then you adjust the strap?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't use the grommet...I usually hang my bow on a hook on the tree.
I don't cinch any straps when I adjust the bottom. I just pull the stand up with my feet while sitting on the crossbar and lean off the one side and open the clamp...push the band in or out , then close the clamp with my right hand. I always make sure and leave room for adjustment on the right side....I can do it on the left but I am much better at doin it on the right.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Do you guys adjust the bottom part of the platform also?

I hook my feet on the sides of the lower platform while sitting on the sit bar, lift it up, adjust the strap, lower it back down.

The cons have pretty much been covered. It's a little pricey and the seat is uncomfortable unless it is adjusted right. (I added one of those "thermaseats" to mine and it helps as well)

Most of the pros have also been mentioned. Lightweight, packs easily, compact. I also like the fact that it is a solid aluminum billit, there are no welds to break and weaken the platform or make creaking noises when you stand up.

The biggest selling point for me was the weight rating. I am not a small guy, I hover around 275 pounds. the lone wolf is rated for 350 lbs rather than the 300 that most of the others are.