Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

lone wolf hand climber

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
WOW! !!! This went from the OP asking about climbers..To a mine is faster then yours,To my stand is better then yours....All in 19 post...

The OP asked "Wondering if anybody has any opinions or stories of what I'm getting myself into with this climber"..... And he's getting both sides of the story. The good, the bad, and the alternative solutions.. While they may not be listed in outline bullet point format there is some good information above from both sides of the fence. It's a more rounded approach to the OPs question... So what's your point.. Go start crap somewhere else.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
The OP asked "Wondering if anybody has any opinions or stories of what I'm getting myself into with this climber"..... And he's getting both sides of the story. The good, the bad, and the alternative solutions.. While they may not be listed in outline bullet point format there is some good information above from both sides of the fence. It's a more rounded approach to the OPs question... So what's your point.. Go start crap somewhere else.

I tried fiilming myself with the tripod but I need to wait till someone is home so that they can follow me with the camera.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
WOW! !!! This went from the OP asking about climbers..To a mine is faster then yours,To my stand is better then yours....All in 19 post...

Not even close. Just a few buddies razzing each other and an few unique looks at opinions on climbers. I don't have to debate the whole faster/slower or better/worse, I know the answers because I've been down both roads. There is no 100% right/wrong answer in this department, but you can't argue a lot of the points we'll make against climbers and for the other style of set up. Conversely, you would have a hard time arguing against the strong points of a climber and the downfall of our set ups. The OP asked for opinions and if you read a little deeper in to my statement, you'll see an opinion or two of mine. If you have a bunch of telephone pole trees to choose from, then a climber is probably the way to roll. But where I come from, that's not the case and I had to compromise a stand location because of a few limbs...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And as far as hand climbers go, I'm not a fan. I have a API Shooting Star (now the Grand Slam I believe) along with a Summit Goliath. I loved the Summit Goliath, but as the name implies, it was a beast to lug in and out. I have used the LW hand climber and it was not something I was overly impressed with. LW makes a great product, but I'd be more inclined to purchase their sit and climb model for the comfort and safety aspect...

Diablo54

Outside
And as far as hand climbers go, I'm not a fan. I have a API Shooting Star (now the Grand Slam I believe) along with a Summit Goliath. I loved the Summit Goliath, but as the name implies, it was a beast to lug in and out. I have used the LW hand climber and it was not something I was overly impressed with. LW makes a great product, but I'd be more inclined to purchase their sit and climb model for the comfort and safety aspect...

I read wrong my climber is sit and climb!! No way would i go for the hand climber!

My point was TOO ME it looked like the thread was headed south..
Not even close. Just a few buddies razzing each other and an few unique looks at opinions on climbers. I don't have to debate the whole faster/slower or better/worse, I know the answers because I've been down both roads. There is no 100% right/wrong answer in this department, but you can't argue a lot of the points we'll make against climbers and for the other style of set up. Conversely, you would have a hard time arguing against the strong points of a climber and the downfall of our set ups. The OP asked for opinions and if you read a little deeper in to my statement, you'll see an opinion or two of mine. If you have a bunch of telephone pole trees to choose from, then a climber is probably the way to roll. But where I come from, that's not the case and I had to compromise a stand location because of a few limbs...
Cost with some climbers versus the Light stick/stand combo cost can be a deciding factor for some as well

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IMHO, anyone willing to lay out what LW wants for a climber can't bitch about another $100 to build a set up like we use. Again, just my opinion. I realize money is a factor for some. But if you'll lay out $300+ for a LW climber, using that argument becomes a mute point with me...

Last edited:
IMHO, anyone willing to lay out what LW wants for a climber can't bitch about another $100 to build a set up like we use. Again, just my opinion. I realize money is a factor for some. But if you'll lay out $300+ for a LW climber, using that becomes a mute point with me...
I agree with that..I was thinking more like summit viper ss/sd cost wise.. I think a LW climber is like 400$ now new.. I would think is almost close to the light stick/hang on cost ...I had 300$ to spend MAX..So i went with a aluminum viper,footrest,Hazmore sling seat,Upgraded stabilizer straps and a Molle II pack system...I actually went over just a few dollars after shipping 310$ or less im sure..Also being its into the season already . I have more confidence with the climber since i have used one prior..I do plan on adding a set of LW stick(4 im thinking) an a light stand (most likely gorilla again due to cost)...An getting a feel for it set/take down wise before next season..From what i priced I would have been close to 500$ for a Millennium or LW an 4 LW sticks..Plus the molle II an versa button mods..maybe im shopping the wrong places

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I don't need a telephone pole tree for my LW climber...you might be surprised what u can use. I also have 4 LW sticks and a alpha hang on...I don't usually go in blind,usually I have prescouted and have a certain tree in mind. I can say I use my climber way more than the sticks cause for me its easier,quieter,quicker. The sticks are a nice option but I think I have used em 3 times in 2 yrs....Also, with my climber I trim branches wrist sized or smaller if need be....Its nice having both options tho.

Gordo

Athens County
The summit viper is a great climber. Sit and Climb and really comfortable. I thought it was easy to pack in also.

Ive never used a hand climber, but it doesnt seem to appealing to me.

The Millenium I bought this year is still the titty balls. Best money Ive spent in a while for anything hunting related. Just ordered me up some more brackets a couple days ago. I dont think I'll ever look back.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't need a telephone pole tree for my LW climber...you might be surprised what u can use. I also have 4 LW sticks and a alpha hang on...I don't usually go in blind,usually I have prescouted and have a certain tree in mind. I can say I use my climber way more than the sticks cause for me its easier,quieter,quicker. The sticks are a nice option but I think I have used em 3 times in 2 yrs....Also, with my climber I trim branches wrist sized or smaller if need be....Its nice having both options tho.

I better be the first one you call if you ever wanna sell those LW sticks, Jake! lol

How much do the millenium stands run? Tyd..

I think I paid $220 TMD from a guy on archery talk... He sold me the brackets for $20 TMD also.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you want a Millennium, the time to deal is at the Expo in March. I paid $180 for both of mine with a foot rest and extra bracket with one and a foot rest for the other after wheelin' and dealin' with them on Sunday. They don't want to take any more inventory home than they have to, so they'll deal...

There is a new in box Millennium on AT guy is asking 200$..An I just checked the place I buy most of my stuff from bowhunters supply store and saw there down to 209.88$ plus .99 cents shipping..Figured I would pass that along
Whats the receivers an footrest cost on avg?

Gordo

Athens County
If you want a Millennium, the time to deal is at the Expo in March. I paid $180 for both of mine with a foot rest and extra bracket with one and a foot rest for the other after wheelin' and dealin' with them on Sunday. They don't want to take any more inventory home than they have to, so they'll deal...

That there was a hell of a deal.

tit1eist2

NW ohio
That there was a lot of information. Someone even lasting 2:14 with another's mom....pretty impressive. Thank you all for the feedback. Like I said I was going back and forth between the LW and mellenium setup. Really the prices aren't that big of a difference it just came down to me wanting something quick easy and with good quality. I always buy the cheap shit. I don't think I could go wrong with either just thought the LW would be the easiest for me. Maybe down the road ill add the millennium setup. I liked both but for now its the climber.