Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for insight.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I might be a bit late on this, but the way I see it is if your son came to you and asked to sell the dirtbike cause he wanted to put it towards a car would you let him?

there is your answer right there, his bike his money. If you would not allow him to sell it then its your bike/your money.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's his bike. If he want's to sell it then so be it.. If he want's to buy a POS Neon then so be it.. Just let him know he's responsible for the insurance, gas and repairs. Who cares if it sits there in the yard, that's all the dirt bike is doing now. It's a life lesson.. Don't give him the choice, but then shelter him and say no if you think he's making the wrong choice. Let him make it and live with the consequences of it.. Looking back he'll realize dad was right. If you say NO and he doesn't get a chance to learn himself then looking back he'll think dads a dick. I guess what I'm saying is.. Give him a chance. If he makes the wrong one then you;re in no worse shape. A dirtbike sitting around that rarely gets rode, or a neon that rarely gets driven. The thing is the neon may give him an incentive to work harder and raise money so he can drive it. He won't do that for the bike. Better he screws this up and learns a lesson now before he does it with something bigger later like a house he can't afford.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's his bike. If he want's to sell it then so be it.. If he want's to buy a POS Neon then so be it.. Just let him know he's responsible for the insurance, gas and repairs. Who cares if it sits there in the yard, that's all the dirt bike is doing now. It's a life lesson.. Don't give him the choice, but then shelter him and say no if you think he's making the wrong choice. Let him make it and live with the consequences of it.. Looking back he'll realize dad was right. If you say NO and he doesn't get a chance to learn himself then looking back he'll think dads a dick. I guess what I'm saying is.. Give him a chance. If he makes the wrong one then you;re in no worse shape. A dirtbike sitting around that rarely gets rode, or a neon that rarely gets driven. The thing is the neon may give him an incentive to work harder and raise money so he can drive it. He won't do that for the bike. Better he screws this up and learns a lesson now before he does it with something bigger later like a house he can't afford.

Hard to argue with that...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hard to argue with that...

Agreed. I especially like the learn how to work to pay for gas, insurance, repairs part. Lot to be learned even if the car is a dud. That said, I still think I would do my best to steer him into a different vehicle than the Neon. Might make him a fine ride the next couple years. Might make it to the scrap yard in a month. Hard saying. Still good lessons to be learned either way.