Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lot's of questions

Diablo54

Outside
A few other threads have got me thinking. They have generated a few new questions for me to ask you guys.
#1 Do you have a hunting pack that you normally take with you hunting? I have a pack that I use every time that I go out although it is on the small side. Once I have my camera arm/camera and Coat into the pack I'm out of space. I need an upgrade. I was looking at this one on cabelas. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...No-48/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104392080?WTz_stype=GNP

#2 Fluteman did you ever get that plastidip? How did it work out for you? I am planning on getting a few carabiners and need to plastidip them and a few other things that are in my hunting gear.

#3 have you ever changed the straps on a climbing stand to make for a more comfortable walk to and from stand?

Thanks in advance guys.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have this fanny pack:

I did upgrade my climber straps. I basically made the new top strap from other straps. It's way more robust than the original one that came from Summit (it actually broke). The backpack straps have pipe insulation from Home Depot wrapped in camo duct tape. They work great. No more digging into my back.

DSCF4115.jpgDSCF4114.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Re: #1
Thats about the size of the "day pack" I use. Picked mine up at Walmart. Tall enough for a Thermos w/ coffee.and all the other stuff we have threaded about carrying.
During ML season I have a smaller pouch ( about 7x5x3 on a shoulder strap) for ball powder,and other ML tools.
I tried the belt/belly pack 2 or 3 times one season and ended up giving it away cause it kept getting in the way of my jacket and day pack.
Just sayen...
Good luck with the quest. :smiley_bril:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Would any of you guys use a chest pack for hunting if there was one on the market? I have been contemplating building one for a while now, even designed one, but haven't made it yet. I hunt mobile all the time, and with a treestand and sticks on my back, don't have room back there for a pack also. My pack idea would hook onto your existing backpack straps, or it could be worn separately a backpack or chest pack, and you could also strap it to the tree when you were in your stand. Sound like something you all might use?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure changing out shoulder straps on your stand would be pretty easy. I haven't tried this yet, but I just thought of it... get a couple of those cheap gun slings, like the ones they make for shotguns without the swivels... it would be a piece of cake to attach them to the stand platform, and they have a good bit of padding in them.

As far as hunting packs go, mine sucks so I'm in the market for one too. Seems like anymore if you want a good one you need to spend some serious cash. What I would like to find is one of those army-spec military packs... they look to be extremely versatile and functional... only problem is, everywhere I see them online they aren't any cheaper than a good hunting pack.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Would any of you guys use a chest pack for hunting if there was one on the market? I have been contemplating building one for a while now, even designed one, but haven't made it yet. I hunt mobile all the time, and with a treestand and sticks on my back, don't have room back there for a pack also. My pack idea would hook onto your existing backpack straps, or it could be worn separately a backpack or chest pack, and you could also strap it to the tree when you were in your stand. Sound like something you all might use?

Sounds intriguing, Fluteman. I think I would have to see one and wear one before I could decide if I'd like it or not, though. Good idea dude.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort

I was looking for one before I pulled the trigger on the fanny pack that I wear on my front side. I carry a stand on my back too, and there's no room for a backpack.

there was a guy on the other site who made a bunch and tried to sell them

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
No plastidip yet, I keep saying I'm gonna order it, but never get around to it. From what I heard, it works great. Maybe I'll order it this week...

rrr

I have a camo shoulder bag that I use on almost every trip. It's big enough to carry a bunch of crap and simple enough to throw over my shoulder and neck. It's got two pockets on the sides and an inside zip pocket where I keep gum, index cards, and a pen.
bag.jpg

For muzzleloader season my orange vest is an upland vest with a million pockets to lose everything in. Before I had that I used a leather electrician's pouch to put my primer, powder, sabots, etc in.

----

Yes Greg, I'd be interested in one of those chest bags. There's front and back fanny packs, waterfowl bags/shell holders similar to that idea but nothing like it. I think there's a market for that. If you could integrate it into stand straps or across the front of a safety harness I think you've got a good product there.

Fluteman said:
Would any of you guys use a chest pack for hunting if there was one on the market?
Fluteman,
I use a fanny pack that's identical to the Remington model that Mike is showing, but it's a Fieldline, sold at Walmart. Once I have it on, I spin it around in the front and this gives me room for carrying my treestand. :smiley_bril:

Diablo54 said:
#1 Do you have a hunting pack that you normally take with you hunting?
Diablo54,
I use the one mentioned above...stuffed to the gills.

Diablo54 said:
#3 have you ever changed the straps on a climbing stand to make for a more comfortable walk to and from stand?
I changed out the original carry straps for my Lone Wolf Alpha, to a pair of Allen padded rifle slings and it is much easier to carry.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Go to GamePlan Gear's website and check out the Bow Bat XL and the Treestand Transportation System (TTS). I own both and love both. I pack as much shit in the woods as anyone on this site, and I do it as much as any to boot, so I use and abuse my equipment enough to know what's worth the money and what's not. The new redesigned Bow Bat will carry plenty of equipment and the TTS makes it a breeze to carry a 30lbs LW/Millennium combo 3/4 of a mile, so it would be perfect for your LW climber. Granted you can buy a set of cheap API padded straps like I have on my other Millenniums, but they are not nearly as comfortable. AND... It's Christmas, so put that on the list you give mom and dad!!!

Oh, and I also own the Spot 'N Stalk pack and love it as well. I use it for scouting, shed hunting, gun hunting, and guiding. You can't go wrong with it either...

Diablo54

Outside
What all can you fit inside of that Spot and stalk pack 1023? Doesn't look big enough for me but the pics aren't that great.

Also the Bow Bat XL doesn't look like it would fit on my bow. The TTS looks really nice compared to the straps on my climber although in the pic it shows the stand upside down compared to how i carry it in.

Do you have any experience with the leech?

http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=21&idcategory=1#details

Last edited:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I have not seen the Leech; that's a new pack for 2011. I can fit a good bit of gear in the Spot 'N Stalk, but not have it as organized or accessible as it is in the Bow Bat. When I mentioned the Bow Bat, I forgot you shot a stick bow. Sounds like you need a trip to Cabelas or Bass Pro to do some shopping!!! Best thing you can do is get your hands on some packs and see what you like...

Diablo54

Outside
I thought about changing my setup next year so that I have the LW sticks and stand like some of you guys do on here. How much weight is there in that setup and how long does it take. Didn't fluteman make a vid about that?

I figure i'll find myself in cabelas by the time fall rolls around again maybe ill get one then.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I thought about changing my setup next year so that I have the LW sticks and stand like some of you guys do on here. How much weight is there in that setup and how long does it take. Didn't fluteman make a vid about that?

I figure i'll find myself in cabelas by the time fall rolls around again maybe ill get one then.

We are planning in making an instructional video on our set-up this winter. It'll be a long one, but it will be worth watching. Since we've got time, just wait for that...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Diablo- Add the millenium and 5-6 LW sticks and you will know it is there. Not something terrible, but noticeably heavier than my Summit climber.