Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Man shot in Carroll County

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It was reported on the Steubenville news yesterday that a man was shot by a friend while gun hunting on Monday. I found out today from my sister in law that it was her boss that got shot.
He is a dentist in Carrollton and his 11 year old son shot him in the leg. The slug shattered his femur and he lost a lot of blood. Last I heard he was still in the hospital and they reconstructed his leg with steel rods.
He was taken by four wheeler then life flight.
Sad story...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is what scares me about hunting gun season..... gettin shot!!

Just sayin.

Hate to hear about accidents like this. Hope everything goes well with both the father and son.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Glad he is other wise in good shape after being shot. I feel bad for him and his son who have to live with the memory every day. Not the shoes I would want to live in that's for sure.

I'm surprised we don't have more accidents every year to be honest with ya.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad he is other wise in good shape after being shot. I feel bad for him and his son who have to live with the memory every day. Not the shoes I would want to live in that's for sure.

I'm surprised we don't have more accidents every year to be honest with ya.

You're right... I'd hate to have to live with that memory as well. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but that is why when I hunt with my boy I carry the gun in and out and I hold the gun while we sit. I do the same with the crossbow.

I'm a nervous wreck with the gun because of the fact that he could shoot once at a deer and then shoot again by accident out of excitement. I'm tempted to just put one slug in or have him use the muzzy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You're right... I'd hate to have to live with that memory as well. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but that is why when I hunt with my boy I carry the gun in and out and I hold the gun while we sit. I do the same with the crossbow.

I'm a nervous wreck with the gun because of the fact that he could shoot once at a deer and then shoot again by accident out of excitement. I'm tempted to just put one slug in or have him use the muzzy.

I think it happens every year. Some of the incidents are widely reported, while others don't seem to get as much publicity for whatever reason. Cotty, I haven't crossed this bridge yet, but will probably be in the same boat as you. Personal decision on the parent's part as to when their child is mature enough to take hunting. I have taken the kids hunting, but I am not sure I would take a shot while they are with me. I know MY kids are not ready to shoot an animal. Each kid is different though. Like you, when my kids are ready (especially my son) I will be extra nervous. There can not be too much caution taken in these situations. I think one slug is a great idea. If it costs a deer someday, well, that is better than an accident.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Hate hearing these stories. Thoughts and prayers with the family. Glad they were able to get the father life-flighted which hopefully saved him.

tuffshot

The Crew
This upsets me, it was preventable.
The decisions some parents make like leaving an 11 year old alone with a loaded gun is not the mentorship that should be taught, period. A parent learning the hard way makes it all the worse.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just caught my buddy leaving his 13 y/o by himself on one end of the woods. Gave him holy hell for it. All he had to do was call and I would have sat with him.

Beentown

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Not knowing all the details or the kid/Dad its tough to say what happened or went wrong.

I started taking Hunter along at 7 years old and allowed him to carry a gun when he was 12. The first two years he was VERY closely supervised by myself or a trusted friend. I am comfortable letting him venture off on his own a little more now that he is 14. He set up maybe 70 yards from me opening day of gun and I have allowed him out back alone once this season. If I am uncomfortable the least bit with the situation I try and error on the side of caution.

Conversely one of Hunter's friends(14) showed up yesterday to hunt the neighbor's property. I don't know this kid very well and how safe he is. I planned to hunt our woods but was not going to hunt there with my daughter knowing there was an unsupervised, inexpirenced 14 year old out and we hunted elsewhere. I told the kid he should not be back there by himself with a gun. I was not going to tell him he was not allowed back there, not my business or my property. But I have to question the parents letting him go alone.....I feel bad for the kid, I don't think his Dad has taken him out once this year. If I did not have 3 of my own kids to worry about I would try and mentor him a bit myself. I have my hands full with my own kids.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any kid 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times while hunting in Ohio... 16 and under when it's during a designated Youth Season.

That's what the law states, but obviously some kids are more mature and responsible than others. I know most people probably don't follow this law to a T, but Wildlife Officers can cite you for it. My uncle just got a rash of shit Monday morning from the local WO because he wasn't sitting with his son.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hell... I'm 37 and I still sit with my daddy during gun season. :smiley_baby:

He's 72 and some day I'll be without him. I include him in every deer excursion I can (minus my stand time during bow season). However, he's the first one I call when I'm on my way home.
I think about what it will be like hunting when he's gone. I'm not sure how I will handle that.:smiley_depressive:

Sorry to get off topic...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No worries Cotty. I wish my Dad was a hunter. I am jealous you have that to share with your Dad. We did plenty of dirt biking and fishing together, but no hunting. You are a good Father for taking your kids and a good son for going with your Dad still. Says a lot. Hopefully everything pans out okay for the Dad that was shot by his son. This truly is a sad situation.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
I grew up, still hunt and work in Carroll County. He's a good dude and sorry to hear of this. I was actually talking to my Monster in Law about it last night as this is her dentist. Last she heard he was in ICU but is doing well now.