Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Medical preparation

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
How many of you take a basic or more complex first aid kit with you in the woods when you hunt? or on your boat? or in your car? Can you use everything in it?

I know there are a lot of veterans here and we all got some basic life saving skills but do you have what you would need with the knowledge you have?

Basic first aid isn't enough with some of the situations we could face far from a road like we all enjoy being, and cellphones don't always work. The right type of accident and it can get scary serious quick.

Guns, ammo, food and other prep gets the easy nod, but what when things go badly?

whitetailjunky3

I have a friend that slipped on a climbing stick down in southern ohio. It impaled his calf and tore a lot of the muscle off. Lost a lot of blood and had a nasty wound. No cell service just got lucky some atvs were going by and heard him yelling. Doctors said he was lucky to have made it. Needless to say this year I started packing a tourniquet in my pack just in case. So did a lot of the other guys I know.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Tourniquet, basic first aid kit in vehicles and boat. Basic first aid in my pack when afield. Doesn’t have everything you could need, but enough too start you getting out for help.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I carry a small pouch in my pocket that has a touriquette, chest seal, quick clot, alcohol wipes and a couple pairs of rubber gloves. A basic major blood stopping kit. If I'm going to send bullets, it will most likely mean some may be coming my way.

I always carry a backpack anytime I leave the house. That has a much more extensive fist aid kit with doubles of what I have on me and small booboo fixes.

I have spent a ton of $ on medical stuff, but a lot of people don't think about that when away from society or a shtf situation.

I have steri-stripped and stitched things that saved me from going to the filthy ER.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80

Fletch

Supporting Member
I have a friend that slipped on a climbing stick down in southern ohio. It impaled his calf and tore a lot of the muscle off. Lost a lot of blood and had a nasty wound. No cell service just got lucky some atvs were going by and heard him yelling. Doctors said he was lucky to have made it. Needless to say this year I started packing a tourniquet in my pack just in case. So did a lot of the other guys I know.
A tourniquet is a must have in my opinion... A year or so ago I was out in Illinois with a friend prior to the season doing work .. While he was changing batteries in a cam I was chopping down some growth in front of the cam with a machete. The machete glanced off a limb and caught me just below the knee... I looked down and my pant leg was red .. Picked up the pant leg and blood was squirting out of the wound with each beat
of my heart... I had a rachet strap in my pack along with paper towels .. Put a wad of paper towels on wound and strap around that... Cut a varicose vein in half and right down to bone... Friend wanted me to go to ER , but I didn't drive over 1000 miles to sit in a ER...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I try to always take a basic first aid kit with me any time I’m going into the field. I also keep a couple quik clot patches just in case. Thankfully, I’ve not had to use anything yet.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm well equipped most places I go, but rarely carry anything useful other than paracord while hunting. I have tourniquet, trauma kit, and basic first aid kit in the truck at all times (in my BOB). I have a fairly elaborate kit in the house that's intended to go along with my wife who is well versed in first aid thanks to her profession. I've been through several trainings, including a trauma training when I was in the oilfield. Overall, I'm more prepared and capable than most, but there's always room for growth.

Reactions: Dustinb80 and "J"

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20230522_071256.jpg

Two years ago, I got educated on the matter. Something that I purposely set out to do.

Today, I have multiple basic medical emergency kits. one per vehicle and a couple 'stop the bleed' customized trauma kits, and one larger customized medical emergency bag that is always readily available.

This was subject/topic matter that I felt the need to learn more about over recent years. Glad I decided to do such a thing too! I recommend that all able persons to learn some solid basic medical care if you do NOT have a doctor readily available to you 24/7 in a quick fashion.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
@CJD3 @brock @Dannmann801 and anyone else

Those are a few local(ish) options at various price points.

Basic first aid is just that basic and a first step. Considering that many of us enjoy firearms having some basic knowledge on how to deal with a GSW might be prudent. Finally a WFR or other middle of nowhere training is good because things don't always happen near roads and trails.

Reactions: giles and Wildlife

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
@CJD3 @brock @Dannmann801 and anyone else

Those are a few local(ish) options at various price points.

Basic first aid is just that basic and a first step. Considering that many of us enjoy firearms having some basic knowledge on how to deal with a GSW might be prudent. Finally a WFR or other middle of nowhere training is good because things don't always happen near roads and trails.
Thank you

Reactions: giles and Hedgelj