Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mercer Wildlife Area to Hold Controlled Deer Archery Hunt Drawing

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
9/13/2018 Division of Wildlife

CELINA, OH – The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is hosting a one-time drawing Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:00pm for archery deer hunting on the Mercer Wildlife Area. Participants must register prior to 1:00 pm and show a valid 2018-19 hunting license and deer permit.

Controlled hunt dates include:
  • September 29- October 14, 2018
  • November 5-16, 2018
  • January 5- February 3, 2019

“Participants should arrive at the Mercer Wildlife Area Headquarters at 12:45 p.m. to allow enough time to register,” advised Bruce Terrill, assistant wildlife management supervisor. “We will begin the drawing promptly at one.”

Participation in this drawing is limited to adults age 18 and over. The chosen hunter may designate a partner for the hunt. The drawing will be held at the Mercer Wildlife Area Headquarters, 6115 State Route 703, Celina, Ohio 45822. The refuge is 1/3 mile east of State Route 127 in Mercer County.

Permits will be mailed to the drawing winners. The permit is transferable; follow instructions given. Please note that it is unlawful for any person to buy, sell, trade, or barter any Division of Wildlife issued controlled hunting, fishing, or trapping permit. Antlerless permits are valid for the controlled hunts. If drawn, each hunter may harvest a total of two (2) deer during each archery hunt segment, only one of which can be an antlered deer.

For more information contact Wildlife Management at (937) 372-9261 or Mercer Wildlife Area, at (419) 236-8838.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at www.ohiodnr.gov.

Source:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-in...ivisionOfWildlife+(ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife)

My buddy got that area 2 years ago. I only had a doe tag left and killed a button buck there. My buddy grazed a nice 9 point. If anyone draws Mercer area let me know and I’ll tell you right where they bed and area to put stand. There was a real nice one in there but just couldn’t get on him. A lot of deer in there when we hunted it during the late season. Had it all of January and bow only. Looks like they added another time frame in November also. So three total time slots to hunt. Only early and late season when we hunted it.

Reactions: NWOHhunter

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Sorry I should of clarified better, how many people showed up to the draw when you guys went?

I think I might swing by if I don't feel like shit, this cold is kicking my butt right now lol

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I went today with a couple of my buddies. My one friend got drawn on the first pick. He chose to hunt Nov 5-16. Since there was three of us me and the other guy flipped a quarter. Looks like I'm staying home.... ha. There were maybe 30 to 40 people there.