Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mil surps

Venefikus

Lakewood
I've been wanting to add a mil surp rifle to my collection for quite some time, but am unsure as to a good place to find one. Any suggestion? Preferably north east ohio.

I dont know how much you want to spend but all mil surps are going up in price. It is kind of hard to go wrong with any of them. My favorites are the swiss k31, 1917 eddystone, no4 mk1, and swedish mausers. Pick a rifle you like the history and features. I have found good deals on armslist but your end up dealing with odd people sometimes just like on craigslist. Gunbroker, gun shows and sometimes pawnshops have some good inventory.

I dont really hunt for deals. I will happily pay what the rifle is worth if it is what i want. You will save a lot of money and headaches if you research whatever rifle you are interested in buying ahead of time.

Venefikus

Lakewood
I dont know how much you want to spend but all mil surps are going up in price. It is kind of hard to go wrong with any of them. My favorites are the swiss k31, 1917 eddystone, no4 mk1, and swedish mausers. Pick a rifle you like the history and features. I have found good deals on armslist but your end up dealing with odd people sometimes just like on craigslist. Gunbroker, gun shows and sometimes pawnshops have some good inventory.

I dont really hunt for deals. I will happily pay what the rifle is worth if it is what i want. You will save a lot of money and headaches if you research whatever rifle you are interested in buying ahead of time.
Oh for sure, yeah I’m looking into Mausers.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Some of the best quality Mausers are the: Swedes, Argentine 1909, Brazilian 1908, VZ24, Persian M49.

My favorite surplus are the Swiss.

Reactions: "J"

K31

NW PA
I've sold quite a few M. Surplus firearms on gunboards dot com with good results, and their for sale board is very active with good stuff to buy. I would also add you might consider getting your 03/Curio & Relics FFL if you want to really start getting into The surplus addiction... Plus a lot of vendors will give you an FFL discount for ammo, reloading gear, you name it. Have had mine for many years, and really nice to have guns shipped to your door, w/o the hassles and cost of outside transfers. Good luck.

Venefikus

Lakewood
I've sold quite a few M. Surplus firearms on gunboards dot com with good results, and their for sale board is very active with good stuff to buy. I would also add you might consider getting your 03/Curio & Relics FFL if you want to really start getting into The surplus addiction... Plus a lot of vendors will give you an FFL discount for ammo, reloading gear, you name it. Have had mine for many years, and really nice to have guns shipped to your door, w/o the hassles and cost of outside transfers. Good luck.

What all do I need to get that? Also will the ATF be making regular stops/ inspections to make sure everything is up to par?

K31

NW PA
What all do I need to get that? Also will the ATF be making regular stops/ inspections to make sure everything is up to par?

It has been a very long time since I applied for mine, so it may be best to let google get you the most up to date answers. I imagine asking " How do I get an 03 FFL", will result in a lot of up to date information. I can tell you at the time, the process was pretty easy, and cost I think $30 for three years.

As for regular inspections, no, you will not... But you may be required if asked by the ATF for whatever reason, for a review of your paperwork (bound book that shows all purchases and sales) at their office or at your home, your choice. Biggest mistake folks make is getting too cute and easy considering this license as a way to make $$$, straw purchases for buddies, etc. You are expressly made aware very clearly by the ATF, that you are NOT in this as a business/dealer (01 FFL) and your 03 license is only for the acquisition of firearms for collection, study, preservation that meet the criteria set forth... Sure, you can sell what you acquire, but it can seem a gray area as to how much is too much in the eyes of the ATF.

Another thing to be aware of is even though you have an FFL, the USPS by the letter of their policy says only "licensed dealers" can utilize their services to ship handguns... I questioned this policy with my local PO speaking with the Postmaster, showed him their regs, my license explaining I am not a dealer, and other paperwork and he made the ruling I COULD ship handguns that fell within the legal guidelines pertaining to my license. Of course I have all of this documented in case anything weird would ever pop-up... Never hurts to ask.

Last edited: