Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mini Split Units

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Letā€™s get the jokes out of the way šŸ˜ Has anyone installed one of these? How did it go? Is the thing still running? What brand etc, tell me your story. Thinking about putting one in upstairs.

Bankfish

Shit, didn't mean to post so quick. Lol. Anywho, those are a first for me, usually do the Mitsubishi units. All varieties I've used have been very similar in the installation. Mitsubishi is like the top of the line units, thinkin they're like 21-23seer with the hyper heat. Been putting the Mitsubishi in for yrs, I believe they're all still running, never been back to replace them. Expensive tho, they are. The Johnson controls were fairly cheap compared to Mitsubishi, weren't quite as hi seer but did everything the hi dollar one did, maybe some options that were better even. They are super nice for a room that is either hotter or colder than the rest of the house

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Shit, didn't mean to post so quick. Lol. Anywho, those are a first for me, usually do the Mitsubishi units. All varieties I've used have been very similar in the installation. Mitsubishi is like the top of the line units, thinkin they're like 21-23seer with the hyper heat. Been putting the Mitsubishi in for yrs, I believe they're all still running, never been back to replace them. Expensive tho, they are. The Johnson controls were fairly cheap compared to Mitsubishi, weren't quite as hi seer but did everything the hi dollar one did, maybe some options that were better even. They are super nice for a room that is either hotter or colder than the rest of the house
Where would you suggest a DIYer look for one? Big box stores carry junk. I was looking at an LG also.

Reactions: Stressless

Bankfish

I believe I've done an LG also. Did another one a guy bought online, an Erzo. Fujitsu is another. Look online, check out the reviews, from what I know they're all pretty much the same. Whatever is in your price range. If you have any kind of mechanical background you should be able to install one. Biggest issue might be a vacuum pump and gauges. If inside unit and outside unit aren't too far from each other, all you do after vacuuming is open the valves, no additional refrigerant required.

Reactions: Smawgunner2

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Just installed a dual zone unit in the cabin in TN a few months ago. Took me and a buddy about 6 hours to install. If you want a completely DIY one check out Mr. Cool. They come ready to go no need to pull vacuum or anything on them. The brand I went with is Ramsond. I installed two 9000btu indoor units and the outside unit. I think I paid a little less than $2k for everything. The biggest difference between it and the Mr. Cool is I had to pull a vacuum with the one I went with.
E69047EB-5E6E-4325-9F17-DAEE94938C20.jpeg
9D7FCD2D-2444-4D3C-ADF2-B2669CC685CF.jpeg
B0DDED04-0A76-4CB7-9C71-8CE5F7E867E4.jpeg
5F93C46E-1299-404C-8E8F-3C4E62D680A1.jpeg
B307C523-077F-4B85-AF74-8121286C3326.jpeg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Put an LG in the cabin 2015, been bulletproof.

I will say I need an advanced controller for it. Also make sure your unit has a shutdown mode so the thermostat will turn it in and off to keep the fan from running constantly

Reactions: Smawgunner2