Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Misery loves company

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
i missed a buck at 40 yards broadside standing perfectly still with a shotgun

makes me wanna cry

Did that back in 95 or 96. Forget the year for sure but it was a chocolate horned 12 point that actually waddled as he walked toward me. An absolute giant and still the biggest I've ever seen on hoof. Still no clue how I missed him. Inside 40 yards with a scope!!! Makes me sick.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Had a dandy of a buck chase a doe through at 10:40 this morning. Just never gave me a shot opportunity. Those were the only 2 I saw all day.

We had 7-8 tresspassers that the land owner and his brother-in-law (who is a cop) caught starting a drive. Regardless of the tresspassing issue, who does drives on opening day?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We had 7-8 tresspassers that the land owner and his brother-in-law (who is a cop) caught starting a drive. Regardless of the tresspassing issue, who does drives on opening day?

Well it is gun season! Duh?! Brings out the worst of the hunters. Not all of the are slobs, but man does it bring out some dandies! Glad they got caught though!

Buckrun

Working 11 hour shifts all week. Although I have to be to work at noon I am just to tired / lazy to get up and go hunting. I have been working 55 to 60 hrs a week for 2 months. Getting to old for this.

I told the wife if she sees one in the back yard to wake me up I will go to the door and take the shot. The farthest it could be is around 80 yards and we see them all the time.

Not much of a hunt but I would like to put some venison in the freezer.

Steve

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Still stuck at work.
Live on site 24-7. all fuggen weekkkkkkk.

last night;SW PA.
Glassed out a grandfather like guy w/ a young child sitting on a couple bails of hay for the evening hunt about 150-200 yards from the rig. (down the mt. side) We saw 8-9 deer running 800 yards across but no shot.
I enjoyed watching them the last 40 min. of light then get up and walk down the mt. to home.The child looked to be 10-12 years old. A little girl. Big puffy hair sticking out from under the orange hat, light purple sweat pants and little kid snow boots. All layered up w/ the orange vest that was almost down to her knees when she stood up.
As I walked back to my office/camper I got real sad thinking back to when I was taking my daughter when she was a little older (15) but looking like that... I miss the times is all.

SUCK ON THE MOMENT Boys...
suck on the moment.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's awesome having my boys out with me. Trying at times... but still awesome.
The orange vest down to the knees made me laugh. That's how my boys look since I'm too cheap to buy them thier size. I have them wearing my old vest and my dad's old vest.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Had a dandy of a buck chase a doe through at 10:40 this morning. Just never gave me a shot opportunity. Those were the only 2 I saw all day.

I know a group of 10-15 guys that drive from sunup to sundown all week. Same during youth, extra season, and muzzleloader. The classic line from them is: "So and so shot one, so did so and so, and so and so hit a big one." If I've heard "hit a big one" once, I've heard it two dozen times over the years. If you could shed hunt everything they drive, you'd find 1-2 OBB dead every year. It's sad...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I do not mind drives if they're done right and ethically. My dad and I have tried to move deer around to each other in the past. I've also done the group thing a couple times.
The thing that bothers me is if guys shoot and don't look for blood or if they walk right through where they know guys are sitting.
If I see a truck parked anywhere near where I want to go I stay out.
I've had groups come in right on top of me. That's frustrating.
I've also had slugs zing past my head after I yelled and made myself seen. That's damn scary.

However, on the flipside, drives can help us guys that happen to be on the flanks ;)

Ok... That was off topic. Sorry.