Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Missouri woman hit in face with arrow

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Stories like this keep me from becoming complacent about SAFETY!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/27/us-crime-arrow-idUSTRE76Q66S20110727

I practice shooting in my backyard whenever I can...my target sits on the concrete floor inside my shed with a row of neighbors on the other side...the nextdoor neighbor stepped outside the other night and I decided I better wait for a minute till he goes back inside..We have a good raport w/each other and I wouldn't mind answering his questions if he had any...I'm within the legal boundaries of my village to shoot my bow on my property...if arrow leaves my property though that's when I'm in trouble.

So this story and a few others before it have always been a good safety reminder for me...always keep arrow pointed at target and nothing else when drawing back...be sure of my target and beyond...and I have no problems putting practice on hold for a few minutes or day.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
WTF !!!

The guy shot a hay bail and the arrow bounced off crashing through the window next door and the DS kept shooting for over an hour afterwords. WOW. Glad he isn't my neighbor. Fuggin Tool.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thats a tough ass lady!! Just pulled it outta her face and laid it on the table!!!

I think the media has it a bit skewed for the story.. It's still crazy but 2+2 isn;t making 4... Things like "She pulled it out and laid it on the table" Then later "did not require hospitalization and her jaw was only bruised and swollen." Sounds like it didn't even penetrate her skin. Crazy none the less, but i don't think it's like the media wants you to believe like she had half an arrow in her skull.

tuffshot

The Crew
A skewed story is my thoughts TOO.
Not enuff detail to even warrent the charges.
Also need to know if there was an ordinace to not shoot in his location.
Bounced off? More like a glancing shot would be more accurate in my mind.
Still a bonehead behind the bow though.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I had to quit shooting in my backyard once they broke ground and starting building back there. It used to be just open field, so an arrow missing the target wasn't any real safety concern. Now, there's houses back there, and even with a privacy fence as a backstop I still don't shoot at the house. Weird things can happen when you release that arrow, and the last thing I want to do is hurt somebody. Besides that, I personally wouldn't want somebody on the opposite side of the fence shooting towards my house.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I had to quit shooting in my backyard once they broke ground and starting building back there. It used to be just open field, so an arrow missing the target wasn't any real safety concern. Now, there's houses back there, and even with a privacy fence as a backstop I still don't shoot at the house. Weird things can happen when you release that arrow, and the last thing I want to do is hurt somebody. Besides that, I personally wouldn't want somebody on the opposite side of the fence shooting towards my house.

I had to stop shooting the other night cuz the neighbor came outside and I shoot into my shed which is toward his property...I have since reconsidered the position of my target and will move it tonight and the distances I had staked out...should be to my advantage though, not only for safety but also my new shooting spot will be higher than my target and I will be able to shoot farther.

I don't ever think that I could miss my 10x10shed @10 or 15 yds...mechanical failure or pure neglegance I think is the only way...better to be safer than sorry IMO!

Last edited: