Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

mock scrape

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
When I fooled with them more I would start them Labor day weekend with any scents I had left from the previous season. Normally when I return to hunt the spot the deer have taken it over.

swamp_donkey819

should i use like the code blue or buck bomb or are they just rip offs, i started on last year and didnt even get my scent put out cause i forgot to pick some up and it got taken over then about 2 weeks later there was about 4 more surrounding scrapes, i was the only one hunting that property, territorial thing maybe ?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I wait until Next month to start mine. It's funny but the deer in my area use the same general spots every year to make new scrapes...Same field edge overhead licking branch and they make a scrape pretty much every year in those same spots. I don't know what it is or why they do it but you can just about guarantee they will do it so, I do the same and make my Mock Scrape in the same spots year after year.

I don't put marketable stuff in my scrapes anymore. I did that one year and not one deer on cam checking it out or freshening it up or anything. Now I just take a leak in it and walk away. Each time I go in or out of the area after that I just unzip and freshen it up and that's it. The deer will eventually take it over come October but I still stop by from time to time during the rest of the season just to mark it. Works !!!

swamp_donkey819

lol never heard of doin that, heard of using deer piss from the previous year, never human piss, but hell ive smoked in the woods, put dips in and drank coffee and still had deer walk up on me

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I wait until Next month to start mine. It's funny but the deer in my area use the same general spots every year to make new scrapes...Same field edge overhead licking branch and they make a scrape pretty much every year in those same spots. I don't know what it is or why they do it but you can just about guarantee they will do it so, I do the same and make my Mock Scrape in the same spots year after year.

I don't put marketable stuff in my scrapes anymore. I did that one year and not one deer on cam checking it out or freshening it up or anything. Now I just take a leak in it and walk away. Each time I go in or out of the area after that I just unzip and freshen it up and that's it. The deer will eventually take it over come October but I still stop by from time to time during the rest of the season just to mark it. Works !!!

Don't I recall you saying you drank a gallon on apple juice then went out and took leaks on the scrapes? :smiley_chinrub:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Urine is urine. That is a different subject in itself, but essentially it's the same from animal to animal, minus the human scent which dissapates after a short time. I did the human scape last year and had good luck. I can say I never saw a large buck checking it for interest, but the does and the smaller guys were definitely curious about it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
well now that the urine is covered , lol what about places for starting them, will any random spot work, or best to start off a trail that they use

I place mine in an area that is close to an active trail, say around 10-15 yards off the trail. Just find a branch that hangs anywhere from your belly to your chest and make a scrape under it. Seems they like the lower hanging branches but I have also seen one off a field edge where they would have had to stand on the back legs and reach up to get to the licking branch...was crazy.

In this picture the branch that buck is using is chest level.

swamp_donkey819

nice ill try that, i got 3 huge fields with woods surrounding and one small set about 3 acres in between the fields, one is a clover field, the other is a hay field and the other is a corn field. so im thinkin maybe try the patch in the middle ? there is a creek that runs the whole one side of the property and a fence that runs the rest. and there is two deer pens that but up on the property line

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
nice ill try that, i got 3 huge fields with woods surrounding and one small set about 3 acres in between the fields, one is a clover field, the other is a hay field and the other is a corn field. so im thinkin maybe try the patch in the middle ? there is a creek that runs the whole one side of the property and a fence that runs the rest. and there is two deer pens that but up on the property line

Your hunting behind a deer farmer's property ?

Just wait till the rut and sit at the fence row. I'm sure a doe in there that's in heat will bring any buck from your woods to the fence lol.

swamp_donkey819

lol yea there is technically two pens, the amish guy owns the pen with all the bucks, his neighbor has the big pen that has i think 15 or so does and some bucks. thats the one that buts on the property line. the othere is back about a hundred yards

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yeah Swamp donkey! You don't need to spend any money on products. You will have the real deal pulling them in!