Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Multi-vitamins

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
B35FCE8D-27C6-4FD1-B4E0-58E36B95B8A8.jpeg

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I always laugh when you hear the phrase "Vitamins have not been proven by the FDA to prevent, treat, or cure any disease". Yeah well nor has broccoli but doctors don't have a problem telling you to eat more of that. The reality there's a reason that they call it practicing medicine. If you have an iron defency they have no problem writing you a script for a pharmaceutical iron supplement, vitamin D issue, they'll write you a script, feeling down or low energy, how about a shot of big pharma made B12 or another script. I'm seeing a pattern here and that that's the big pharma tail wags the dog.

Like anything though it can be exploited for those looking to make money. Is there benefit to saw palmeto, turmeric, or acia berry extract, who freaking knows. Never seen a doctor do a blood workup for a saw palmeto decency though.

I'm not a fan of single multivitamins. I take individual vitamins and try to stay with quality companies. C, D, E, B12, Iron, magnesium, and a fish oil is my daily regement.

Like others have said a balanced diet and adequate water consumption is far more beneficial though. Cut your carb intake down to 30 grams a day and a week later you'll feel like you could run the Boston Marathon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I see a huge benefit when taking turmeric curcumin regularly. It's a fantastic anti-inflammatory. Dr. Patrick is also the one that got me on that path.

Jamie

Ohio
if I'm a doctor and everyone is so healthy that they don't need to see me, I'm out of a job. Hippocratic oath my ass.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Grew up as a Flinstone kid, one everyday for as far back as I can recall.

While I do believe that if you eat somewhat healthy, vitamins are not a necessity, but it's cheap insurance. Goes back how I live my life - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It's a personal choice, try it and see if you feel any different if you are not getting blood work done on a regular basis.

Each day I am taking, based on doc's recommendation:

Multi-vitamin - Men's One-A-Day
Fish Oil
Low dose aspirin
BP med
Niacin before bed

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Glad to see this thread. I was able to go from 6-8 pops a day to none back in September. I feel way better. Next up, cutting some carbs. But, I was actually considering starting the one a day until I go for my check up in a couple months.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Since we are on the topic, here is my regimen in addition to the multivitamin I linked earlier:

Nootropoic: Neuro-Peak
Krill Oil: Antarctic Krill Oil
Probiotic: Bio Schwartz 40 Billion CFU
Turmeric Curcumin: Bio Schwartz w/ Bioperine

Those 4 in addition to the vitamin are my "non-negotiable" supplements. Twice a year (January & July), I will take a bottle of milk thistle (Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle) for liver health. Milk thistle has shown in clinical tests to help restore/regenerate damage in the liver, very important for you beer guzzlers. Cough * @giles Cough * @Dustinb80 Cough * @bowhunter1023 :ROFLMAO:

I also keep a good greens powder and a protein powder in the house. I don't use these daily, just when I need a healthy filler or something to take on the go. Or, I just need a healthy :poop:

Super Greens: Nested Naturals
Protein w/ Almond Milk: Bodylogix Natural Whey

And before you say: "all that shit is expensive", note that I haven't been to the doctor (knock on wood) for a health-related issue in 3 years I've been eating a ketogenic diet, exercising and taking this supplement routine. My blood work is on point (little high on B6 & 12 if anything). That wasn't the case when I was 240#s w/ high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, IBS and sleep issues. Taking this stuff seriously and investing in your body is cheap in comparison to a life of doctors, meds, and not being your best self.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I did the turmeric for a month based on a recommendation from my sister who swears by it. The wife and I did it with no significant results that would make me continue.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I did the turmeric for a month based on a recommendation from my sister who swears by it. The wife and I did it with no significant results that would make me continue.

It can take up to 60 days for a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory to build up in your system to levels where you would see a result. Factors such as bioavailability (which is why you should take a turmeric supplement that contains curcumin) and dosage levels can influence the effects. Not to argue your results, just saying there are viable reasons as to why you didn't experience results.

Reactions: Jamie and Mike

Jamie

Ohio
this is a very interesting topic. I have no desire (or need that I'm aware of) to take supplements right now, but I would happily do it if I had to in order to maintain my health. the only time in my life I ever took supplements of any sort was back when I was pumping iron and trying to gain weight and get bigger 25 years ago. gave it all up when it occurred to me that I enjoyed hunting much more than spending hours in the gym every day or so.

I don't have, nor have I ever had, a single internal health issue, knock on wood. I tried the turmeric thing and got no results. I will say that I have experienced noticeable anti-inflammatory results from eating lots of COTW mushrooms and greater energy with Chanterelle's on my plate once a week for nearly two years now. micronutrient rich foods are not always easy to come by, but wild edibles are full of vitamins, trace minerals, and metals, which has further fueled my interest in learning more about them and foraging more and more. never mind concerns about our commercial food supply in the world today.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
this is a very interesting topic. I have no desire (or need that I'm aware of) to take supplements right now, but I would happily do it if I had to in order to maintain my health. the only time in my life I ever took supplements of any sort was back when I was pumping iron and trying to gain weight and get bigger 25 years ago. gave it all up when it occurred to me that I enjoyed hunting much more than spending hours in the gym every day or so.

I don't have, nor have I ever had, a single internal health issue, knock on wood. I tried the turmeric thing and got no results. I will say that I have experienced noticeable anti-inflammatory results from eating lots of COTW mushrooms and greater energy with Chanterelle's on my plate once a week for nearly two years now. micronutrient rich foods are not always easy to come by, but wild edibles are full of vitamins, trace minerals, and metals, which has further fueled my interest in learning more about them and foraging more and more. never mind concerns about our commercial food supply in the world today.

Are you aware of Paul Stamets and his work in mycology?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Myself... I take nothing... Should I ??? Who knows... I look at it this way... What did are Grandparents take??? My grandfather died back in 1973... He was 90 something... Only thing he did faithfully was he would start each and every day with a double shot of Seagrams VO in his black coffee.. No such thing as physicals or blood work back then... If he cooked a big steak, he'd eat the crispy fat of the outside edges... And hes not the exception, look back in your family tree and see how long some lived
.. Alot of what you are is in your genes...