Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Murphy's Law Anyone?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Happened to me today. Beautiful day and as my wife was taking the kids inside for dinner I told her I wanted to head to the woods for a quick mission. I wanted to cut the tree down my buck was rubbing on when I loosed an arrow last November. I wanted to build a shelf to mount the tree he was rubbing on into my deer mount display. I fired up the four wheeler. I topped off the gas and oil for my chainsaw. Fired it up to make sure it would start since I hadn't used it in awhile. No problem. Loaded it on the quad and took a drive. Found my tree to cut down. Got off the quad and proceeded to start my chainsaw. First pull it sputtered (as anticipated). I was ready to take the choke off to get it running on the second pull as usual but Murphy's Law had already struck. Yep, chainsaw in one hand (not running) and rope in the other! Dang! Oh well, beautiful day to go to the woods. Nice to remember how the hunt went down. Guess I will cut that tree another day. hahah

Attachments

• IMG00592-20110410-1942 chainsaw rope.jpg
    IMG00592-20110410-1942 chainsaw rope.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 155

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
At least you can add it to the trials you went through to get that awesome mount when it is done.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, Phil... that sucks man but you have to admit that's kind of funny. lmao

Dannmann-I think I have several backups, just been one of those saws that has treated me well. Pull ropes give out on all of them sooner or later I guess.

Jim- I am with you. It did make me laugh. Getting pissed about it wasn't going to change anything. Part of life. The tree is still there waiting for me. I will get it another day. It was a beautiful evening to ride through the woods anyway. Funny part was watching my neighbor lady laugh at me. We had all hung out around their pond with the kids and she said she wanted a four wheeler ride. Well, I took her. She was half lit and an absolute riot on the back of the quad. When the rope broke, her reaction was hilarious. "Awwwwwww shit. Did that just break? haaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Phil man, that sucks!" Guess you have to meet the neighbor to know how funny it was. She is just like one of the guys.

I've had far worse days, while bowhunting and would've sworn it was my very first day of being in the woods.

I was walking into my treestand one morning. Tripped and fell...on what, I don't know, but got a face full of mud and my pant legs were covered in those type of burrs that take an hour to get off. Made it to the tree, climbed up, pulled my bow up and laid it on the arm rests/safety bar. I noticed a branch that was clearly in my shooting lane, so I cut it off and gave it a pitch into the creek. Still had the saw in my hand and one of the teeth hooked a couple of strands on my bow string...severing it. Now my 18 strand string is a 16 strand. Just one of those days!

I'm not sure if it's Murphy's Law, but...
You can drink an ugly girl, pretty, but you can't drink an fat girl thin. :smiley_chinrub:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Should have bought a Stihl!!! :smiley_crocodile:

Actually, I should have bRought the Stihl. I have 3 Stihl chainsaws, but happened to bring the Husky that day.

I paid $10 for 3 raffle tickets through the ODNR many years ago. 2/3 of my tickets won. The saw was one of the prizes. A Remington Arms clock was the other. Best $10 I have ever spent.