Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Musky for beginners?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've never fished for musky & pretty much all the fishing tackle I have is middle to light weight gear. Mostly used for pond fishing bass & blue gills, or wading some of the Central Ohio creeks for smallies.

That being the case, what do you guy recommend for some beginner musky gear? I'm only a few miles from one of the state's better musky lakes, and so I've been thinking about trying to chase some of those toothy bastards this summer.

After the gear, what about the best tactics? What areas do you target, time of the day, types of lures, etc. Educate me!!!

Thanks for the pointers!!

Huckleberry Finn

I have no idea...

When I was in 5th grade though we went to Clear Fork Reservoir and watched them milk the muskies...gross and smelly! There are some big ones in there. It's not TOO far of a drive for you, maybe you want to check it out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have no idea...

When I was in 5th grade though we went to Clear Fork Reservoir and watched them milk the muskies...gross and smelly! There are some big ones in there. It's not TOO far of a drive for you, maybe you want to check it out.

If you do Curran just let me know. I will show you where to fish for them over there :D. A few still in there over 50" to be cuaght and a few with my lures as well lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Clear Fork you can cast for them or troll down by the dam. When casting you pretty much do like you would for bass fishing but with heavier tackle and bigger lures and smoke those lures through the water as fast as you can. Nothing more then just upsizing your bass baits. We did troll a few times with some big crank baits and had some good luck that way as well.

We used 7' heavy action rods with 40# test and went at it lol. They liked bass color crank baits and shad color rattle traps pretty well. We caught them on buzz baits,spinner baits, crank baits, stick baits, jointed rappalas, big bucktails spinners.

One suggestion : leave about 4-5' of line in the water when you get next to the boat and do a figure 8 before pulling that bait out of the water. They love to follow that bait right up to the boat and as soon as you slow down and go to lift it out they try to hammer it. Most times if you don't do the figure 8 they will miss and scare the hell out of you with a huge splash.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Curran,

Iffen I had a better boat for fishing I would take you. I have an employee that is pretty big into it and he has taken my a couple times and we were successful on both trips. I like live baiting them the most. Throw some cast nets for the gizzard shad and but them under balloons. What is great you KNOW when a musky is around. The shad goes ape shit but is TOO small to really run with a balloon holding it up. Trolling the slot is another great method I just prefer casting.

During summer the southern swim bay and few others are good for live baits or running spinners.

Beentown

chetter74

Clear Fork you can cast for them or troll down by the dam. When casting you pretty much do like you would for bass fishing but with heavier tackle and bigger lures and smoke those lures through the water as fast as you can. Nothing more then just upsizing your bass baits. We did troll a few times with some big crank baits and had some good luck that way as well.

We used 7' heavy action rods with 40# test and went at it lol. They liked bass color crank baits and shad color rattle traps pretty well. We caught them on buzz baits,spinner baits, crank baits, stick baits, jointed rappalas, big bucktails spinners.

One suggestion : leave about 4-5' of line in the water when you get next to the boat and do a figure 8 before pulling that bait out of the water. They love to follow that bait right up to the boat and as soon as you slow down and go to lift it out they try to hammer it. Most times if you don't do the figure 8 they will miss and scare the hell out of you with a huge splash.

been talking to a buddy about going to clear fork this summer just dont know anything about it . do you fish it much (redcloud) would love to put 1 or 2 in the net be for i go to canada "A"

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
been talking to a buddy about going to clear fork this summer just dont know anything about it . do you fish it much (redcloud) would love to put 1 or 2 in the net be for i go to canada "A"

I use to fish it everyday all day long during the summer until my buddy moved to Alabama and took his boat with him lol. We would hit the water at 5am and not come in until it was getting dark. Placed in the top 5 in a few bass tournaments over there years ago. I miss me some summer days out on that water.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
youll change that tune once you hit a 20 or 30 pound cat at the lake with me , once you catch your first big cat its like a drug , ya gotta get more

See UK, that's what my buddy keeps tellin' me. He's also friends with Cotty TOO. I've just never gone out with him chasin' cats, but he usually gets into some good fish every summer.

I'm gonna try and get into some musky fishing this summer. Now that my son has caught the fishing bug I can take him out with me, and we can hit the lake with the canoe & trolling motor. I'd love to have one of those big boys pull the canoe around while trying to land him!!

Chetter74 gave me some good pointers today TOO. Good meeting you!

Beentown - we need to try and get together to fish at least once this summer. Even if it's just getting the kids on some bluegills. Let's make it happen.

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep 'em coming!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've done my best muskie fishing speed trolling smaller lures. I fish Lake Hudson in Michigan and it gets hit HARD. They are smart and down sizing your baits work there. I've done the best with Storm Mag Warts and Mann's 1-. One is for shallow weed lines and the other for deep. I'm not much for casting either.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Curran,

I have the perfect pond ready for your boy. Every cast is a fish and we caught MANY gills over 11" last year...my Dads place. Anytime you wanna go you have an open invite. Plus there is a good little pond just off of Alum my Uncle has that is good fishing until it gets spooked.

Beentown

FredT

SE Ohio
Can't help ya. Don't know anything about them.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks Fred, but I want to try and catch BIG fish :smiley_crocodile:

That's a hawg!! Now what's the story behind that beast?

he traveled 5000 miles through blinding snow , all up hill with bare feet .................................o waitthats the old timers excuse for how good kids have it today,

he caught it in the creek behind his house :smiley_blackeye: