Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader Scopes

Looking for a muzzleloader scope for a CVA Accura. I bought the gun a while back and have just never gotten around to putting a scope on it to use. Planning to put the scope on it and give it to Jenna for Christmas since they are planning to go down for muzzy season. I like the lifetime warranty of Vortex but what other options are out there for under $200?

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Looking for a muzzleloader scope for a CVA Accura. I bought the gun a while back and have just never gotten around to putting a scope on it to use. Planning to put the scope on it and give it to Jenna for Christmas since they are planning to go down for muzzy season. I like the lifetime warranty of Vortex but what other options are out there for under $200?

I have two of these that are the limited bone-collector addition duplex reticle 3x9-40. One on the 12g Remington pump shotgun and the other on my Marlin 30-30 and have used them a ton over the years. Never had a single problem with either of them. Both seem real durable, very functional and have stood up to abuse and nasty weather over the years. I've killed a lot with them both. I would not hesitate in getting another in the future. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth out of the both of them.

Midway does have them on sale currently.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I have a weaver 3x9-40 on my muzzleloader currently that came off of a budget Savage Arms Axis rifle when I originally purchased it back in 2019. I've used it for a couple of seasons and haven't had any problems with it as well. IDK how much they go for currently. I have had a Simmons in the past and it did have problems in a short time frame, which was also a 3x9-40. I just tossed thing out when it failed a long time ago.

Both of my Bushnells are at least 10 years old and neither of them really have any blemishes on them today, whether it be the optics and/or the tube itself. Each have stood up to the test of time and use as far as I am concerned. I am rather surprised though that I haven't had not a single problem with either of them. I have swapped them between the two mentioned rifles because the one that is on my 30-30 currently was on the shotgun originally and that is NOT a duplex reticle but rather a BDC reticle. Since I shoot my 30-30 beyond a 100 yards more often than the shotgun, that is why I swapped them. Never had any issues in zeroing them out to 100 yards, and they have held their zero over the years as well. I'm pleased with the current rifle configurations on both so, that is why I suggested the bushnell. I have no idea about anyone else with regards to them, I'm just sharing with you of what I know and have experienced with by using them.

Thought I add a little more details as to why I recommend that brand and scope solution.

Good luck Chuck in your search for a scope solution for your daughter's muzzleloader!

Reactions: Big_Holla

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I have two of these that are the limited bone-collector addition duplex reticle 3x9-40. One on the 12g Remington pump shotgun and the other on my Marlin 30-30 and have used them a ton over the years. Never had a single problem with either of them. Both seem real durable, very functional and have stood up to abuse and nasty weather over the years. I've killed a lot with them both. I would not hesitate in getting another in the future. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth out of the both of them.

Midway does have them on sale currently.

Bingo. I put Banners on almost all my rifles.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

This or a vortex. I have this scope on my Muzzy. SOB is dead on. I shoo it once a year a 50, it's 1inch high. I have the turkey-plex reticle- I love that.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Hope this is okay with you Chuck in expanding a little bit more on the different optic brands that I am familiar with. Please let me know, thanks!

I have no experience with Leupold rifle scope products, but I have no doubt in my mind that they make some of the best optic products out there on the market.

I do however have what I consider by now plenty of experience with the Vortex products, and have been using them regularly over the last two years.

I did do a review on the 'Viper PST Gen II 5x25-50 SFP in MOA within my 'Pulled the Trigger' thread on the main 'TOO' home page.

Each of the Vortex scopes that I currently own today are for an entirely different application though than what Chuck is asking for here and I do like their 'No Question Asked Lifetime Warrantee' policy, which I have yet to ever use or hope that I will never have to in the future.

So far, after using these particular Vortex products that I own, whether they be either of the red-dots or either of my 'Viper PST Gen II's', I have not had a single problem in both configuring them or using them while within the field for either of the two different rifles that I have them for.

I did purchase each of them when they went on sale over a period of approximately a year or so, and for the money that I spent for them, so far, I am quite satisfied.

I am currently finishing up my AR, which is configured with a 'Vortex 5x25-50 Viper PST Gen II' FFP in Mils plus with a 'Vortex Razor' 3MOA red-dot along the side. I am currently in the process of getting the rifle completely ready for coyote hunting and hope to have it done by the E.O.D. tomorrow hopefully, weather permitting of course.
20211216_131128.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The same small group of mnf. always comes up. I have both Leupold and Vortex.

Something you may want to give a little additional thought to is the reticle or crosshairs. There are easily half a dozen different configurations from red dot to German, Duplex, Mildot and Christmas tree. There may be something different out there you'd enjoy.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shoot an Accura V2 with a Nikon BDC 300 muzzy scope. Nikon quit selling scopes so that doesn't help you much but I would recomend going with a bdc scope that has the circles. Nikon had a kickass app where i could input my powder and bullet load and it would kick out a range sheet. The bubbles were dead on to what they said.

A couple years ago with Alex and his buddy in the blind I looked like Billy bad ass when a buck hung up at 178 yards on a muzzy doe hunt to burn tags. Alex asked his buddy if he could make that shot and his buddy said he didnt think so. I casually said "I can make it". I put the gun up on the rest and asked for a range........178.... WHOOM! that sucker did the old ass fell out from under him head flew back and he fell in his tracks. 😅 What made it even better was alex had been fucking with this guy for days before we met about how I was in the Army and some kind of sniper or something. 😅😅 The look on that dude's face was priceless. Even his expression in this pic is like "fucking really, I mean really."

FB_IMG_1605216219576.jpg

He wasn't kidding about not being able to make that shot either. I let him use my rifle the next day out there because his didn't have a scope on it. He missed one at 120, another at 100, and finally killed one at 45. After the second miss Alex called me to ask if the ballistic chart on the rifle was right because ole boy was out there just whiffing it. I laughed and told him it was all operator error. Ole boy thought Jim shockey and Chris Kyle had a love baby named Joe. 😅😅

Last edited:
Excellent responses everyone and I cannot thank you enough!! As for the reticle I'm thinking the simpler the better since it's for Jenna. I know with my AR the reticle has all the dashes and circles and I get confused easily on which was for what LOL! Hell I seem to find a way to do that with my bow sight pins now and then too LMAO! I really am locked in to under $200 on this and you guys have given me several ideas. Looked at her scope on her 350 Legend and wouldn't you know it, it's a Bushnell Banner. Will be fun looking at them this weekend so keep the recommendations coming and I will let you all know how it goes. Odd how I feel like a kid on Christmas day getting stuff like that ready for a gift for my daughter who's got that deer hunting addiction.

Sooo....... we ended up at Bass Pro and I talked with a pretty knowledgeable person on scopes. Told him what I had for the muzzy, my price range, 3 x 9 power request and he pulled out several of what he recommended. Bushnell, Vortex, some Cabela's ones though he set those aside slightly. He mentioned the pro's and con's of each and even talked to me about the BDC reticle as @Jackalope mentioned. Asked me why I felt there was no need for it (given it was going to Jenna and all) and proceeded to explain why an average shooter could benefit, especially if given the opportunity at anything over 100 yards. Thought about what Joe had said and thought maybe that was the way to go. After all was said and done we walked out with a Vortex Crossfire II with the BDC reticle. That reticle is very simple with just additional hash marks below and to the sides, not distracting at all IMO. Mounted it Sunday and it awaits being put under the tree now.
1640020785614.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sooo....... we ended up at Bass Pro and I talked with a pretty knowledgeable person on scopes. Told him what I had for the muzzy, my price range, 3 x 9 power request and he pulled out several of what he recommended. Bushnell, Vortex, some Cabela's ones though he set those aside slightly. He mentioned the pro's and con's of each and even talked to me about the BDC reticle as @Jackalope mentioned. Asked me why I felt there was no need for it (given it was going to Jenna and all) and proceeded to explain why an average shooter could benefit, especially if given the opportunity at anything over 100 yards. Thought about what Joe had said and thought maybe that was the way to go. After all was said and done we walked out with a Vortex Crossfire II with the BDC reticle. That reticle is very simple with just additional hash marks below and to the sides, not distracting at all IMO. Mounted it Sunday and it awaits being put under the tree now.
View attachment 142528

Good looking scope man. See if vortex has an app or a load chard for those BDC mark. If you never need them that's cool, but if ole mossy horns steps out at 170 they're sure nice to have and trust.