Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Dad... Big Time Trapper...

Fletch

Supporting Member
So I was looking for something and came across some old photos [ pre 1950 ] of my Dad and some of his foxes he caught...Back then he was quite the trapper and always came home with foxes slung over his shoulder... At the time he worked in a coal mine in Western Pa. and would walk his trap line after spending the day in the mine... Some days would be after midnight walking the trap line with a carbide lantern that they used in the mines... I remember pics of the whole wall of the garage covered with pelts on stretchers... In the mix were muskrats, mink and foxes... Coyotes were non-existant back then... My Mom used to have a full length fox coat that was made from foxes he caught... I gave Chad a bushel basket full of leg hold traps last year to hopefully keep his spirit going...

foxes 4.jpgfoxes 3.jpgfoxes 2.jpgfoxes 1.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice pics! Walking the trap line after work was probably great therapy after being in a mine all day.

LOL... He was always out in the woods... He loved the outdoors... But yeh your right after being down in a mine shaft it must have been nice to get out in the clear air to clear your lungs... Before I was born him and another miner were buried in a cave in... They quick ducked under a coal car when everything came crashing down... Back then they blasted with dynamite to get them out... He said the ground shook each time they set a charge off to get them... Any of those blasts could have killed them... But its how they did things back then... Next day he went back in... He used to have bee hives too... They would put flour on a bee so they could see them fly and then follow them back to the tree and go back at night to cut down the tree to get the honey bees for the bee hives...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Great pics, thanks for sharing. My dad and granddad did more hunting fox at night by calling them, but Ive got a pic of my dad with a red fox he'd trapped somewhere.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks guys.... Old pics bring back a lot of great memories, even though I wasn't around when those were taken... But I heard enough stories...

Reactions: Dustinb80