Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My First Crossbow

NAC1989

Clark county
This is somewhat new technology and sometimes the manufacturers and/or dealerships don't explain it well. 🙄

Bowhunter57
When I bought my Micro 335 in 2015 it was a new model then and came with a speed scope, the scope itself wasn't even the correct scope that was suppose to come with it it has the wrong reticle/yardage points according to the scope instruction manual. Even the manual itself didn’t explain how to properly sight in a speed scope. Took a lot of digging through Excalibur’s xbow forum to figure out how to do it. I use to just shoot at 20yd max because I couldn’t get it to zero past that, it’s dead on out to 50yd now 👍.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Ravin does not recommend one type of broadhead over another, yet they produce mechanicals, instead of fixed. 🤔

Actually, I prefer a fixed blade, over a mechanical. I'm trusting Ravin products on this one. 🙂 Should any issues arise from my using their broadhead, I'll be quick to let them know.... after I'm certain it was a broadhead issue.
At least I know I have the option to use either type of broadhead. 😎

Bowhunter57
I got a steal of a deal on an R29. I use mechanicals as well. After reading all the reviews, I went with the Tru Glo Titanium X 4 blades. They are also only $29.00 for a three pack. I sited in with them and they were tough enough to take 20+ shots into a stiff block crossbow target. Not an overwhelming big hole, but did a great job on the two bucks that were shot with them.

I got a steal of a deal on an R29. I use mechanicals as well. After reading all the reviews, I went with the Tru Glo Titanium X 4 blades. They are also only $29.00 for a three pack. I sited in with them and they were tough enough to take 20+ shots into a stiff block crossbow target. Not an overwhelming big hole, but did a great job on the two bucks that were shot with them.
Mao,
The R29 is a bad ass crossbow! :cool: I'd say you did very well for yourself.
As for your broadheads not making an "overwhelming big hole", it's all about the shot placement, brother. You put the shot where it needed to be and that's how you got it done! (y)

$29 for a 3 pack is good. Ravin has 3 different choices (for a 3 pack) and the only difference is the ferule material. Titanium ferule is $90, Steel ferule is $70 and the ones I purchased is Aluminum, at $50. (These prices were at Bass Pro, in Rossford, Ohio). I guarantee you, that once these broadheads are gone, I'll be switching back to Slick Tricks. :)

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Mao

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Mao,
The R29 is a bad ass crossbow! :cool: I'd say you did very well for yourself.
As for your broadheads not making an "overwhelming big hole", it's all about the shot placement, brother. You put the shot where it needed to be and that's how you got it done! (y)

$29 for a 3 pack is good. Ravin has 3 different choices (for a 3 pack) and the only difference is the ferule material. Titanium ferule is $90, Steel ferule is $70 and the ones I purchased is Aluminum, at $50. (These prices were at Bass Pro, in Rossford, Ohio). I guarantee you, that once these broadheads are gone, I'll be switching back to Slick Tricks. :)

Bowhunter57
As far as shot placement, yes, you are absolutely right. I have always shot mechanicals because they fly better for me. I look for the the mechanical that will fly the best out of my bow, a big cut is a bonus. I looked at the Ravin heads as well, but the reviews on those were not as good as the Tru Glo heads, believe it or not. Doesn’t hurt that they cost a lot less too.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I like the Ravin Xbows. Keep an eye on your string and limbs Daniel. There are several problems reported with the R10 strings in the past. Recorded to be a bad batch of strings and now fixed...But believe me, when one explodes when you pull the trigger, your whole world is a mess. (Yer pants may be also). I do hope this bow is awesome for your liking.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Make sure you have a good grip when decocking. It wants to run away from ya. I know a couple guys that blasted their scope with the crank and had to resite in. One of my students actually broke his scope.