Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Rec room!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My wife goes down into the recroom to get something from the freezer and starts screaming. All I hear is "water".
I run down to see what the heck is wrong and there is water pouring out of the header above our bar. WTF?!?!?
There is a drain pipe that runs through there and right now I have big garbage cans and buckets collecting water. I'm praying the ceiling doesn't give in and trash the whole place. We just finished the room a year ago and have almost $17,000 in it. I'm just heartbroken. It's my man cave!!!
I've posted pics before, bit here they are again. Damage and no damage.
The pics don't do the damage justice. The floor is drenched (wood laminate) and is all raised. If you poke the drywall with your finger it goes right through it. This sucks ass!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man that sucks. You might want to consider going and getting the snow and ice off from around your gutters. When it melts and freezes it can run down in behind the gutters and in through the house. My coworker had a similar thing happen and that was the cause.

rrr

I would just sit at the bar, get drunk, and then reevaluate the situation.

(Have you ever seen Mouse Hunt?)
[video=youtube;CAl5x6I6qSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAl5x6I6qSA&feature=related[/video]

This might sound extreem
But tear down the drywall around the header NOW
It might be a easy fix or not

But till it is open you have no clue and by the looks of the pic's the drywall is trashed anyway

Put down plastic and tear it down

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Johns right. It needs pulled.down anyway and you can see what's leaking and fix it to stop the water, unless like Joe said and its coming from an outside source.... but if it only has a drain above it I tend to go with Joe's assessment sorry to hear about this.... looks like a nice room...

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I would atleast poke a hole big enough for your head and a flash light so you can try to see what's going on.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This blows - and you won't even be able to put a $$ value on the pain-in-the-ass factor you're about to endure....
yeah, if there's a rental place open today you gotta get a couple of those fan thingees and start the drying process.
John is right, start bringing that shit down NOW.
Gotta start drying NOW.
Drywall is easy to replace and refinish, but mold is an unrelenting bitch.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Is there just a drain up there? or other water lines? Depending on the policy your insurance may pay for it... But if it's still leaking you need to try to minimize the damage... Like it was said earlier poke a hole and look ain't like your going to do that much more damage....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I busted out a section of drywall and found the culprit. It was a "t" joint that sprung a leak leading to the new plumbing in the Rec room.
I cut the pipe and put a cap on it for now so I can have water in the rest of the house.
As far as drying the place out... I'm letting the insurance company handle that. I have Apollo restoration here now. They are ripping up the laminate floor and putting in fans and such to take care of the water mess. This is their specialty so I'm letting the experts do their thing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like the plumber that did your work is about to have your insurance company up his ass.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking the same thing as Jackalope. Too bad I do a lot of my own plumbing. Hope it turns out okay Mike. That is a sweet mancave! Think of it this way, you have your family and health. You have insurance. This is not something which cannot be fixed.