Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Rec room!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was thinking the same thing as Jackalope. Too bad I do a lot of my own plumbing. Hope it turns out okay Mike. That is a sweet mancave! Think of it this way, you have your family and health. You have insurance. This is not something which cannot be fixed.

True that. Kinda puts a damper on our new years eve party though.

Jack, I was thinking that as well.

Buckmaster

Portage
Hey Cotty you're not alone.....lf that makes you feel any better.

Xmas evening I stayed home and missed the party because I had water dripping through the wall above my living room windows.

I was found with a ladder, shovel, rock salt, and a hot water garden hose trying to melt out my gutters that night.

My living room suffered some water damage. I took a few pictures for the insurance company if I decide to file a claim.

I was able to remove about half the ice but I still have build up and back up issues.

The saga continues........It's supposed to be 40 degrees later this week. That should help the thaw.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
guys they make heated cords that you can lay in your gutter to keep them from freezing up and creating ice dams...Buck you will want to see if the will redo the roof and have ice and water shield installed on the bottom of the roof. that usually stops things like this from happening. you pretty much going to have a claim so i would get started....problem is they will blame you for not keeping the gutters clear...happened to a friend. also fellas if you have someone doing work on your house it would be a good idea to be sure they have insurance and request a copy of their policy to be sure it is current...in this economy you just need that piece of mind.

Buckmaster

Portage
Thanks for the advice Milo.

That prompted me to call Nationwide and at least let them know what has occured over Xmas. They began a file with at least a record if I file a later claim.

The great thaw begins later this week so we'll find out if I catch more H20 in my living room. If things continue to get worse I'll secure it with a claim.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks for the advice Milo.

That prompted me to call Nationwide and at least let them know what has occured over Xmas. They began a file with at least a record if I file a later claim.

The great thaw begins later this week so we'll find out if I catch more H20 in my living room. If things continue to get worse I'll secure it with a claim.

After what I have seen work in the past, I will be paying the extra money to ice and water shield my entire house. its dam near fool proof for anything. its like putting an extra roof on your house. the cost is relatively minimal compared to the peace of mine and coverage it will provide. i would also suggest pushing on the drywall to be sure its not soft already. i am 95% sure if you had that much moisture your gonna get a new living room walls and insulation too..

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
guys they make heated cords that you can lay in your gutter to keep them from freezing up and creating ice dams...Buck you will want to see if the will redo the roof and have ice and water shield installed on the bottom of the roof. that usually stops things like this from happening. you pretty much going to have a claim so i would get started....problem is they will blame you for not keeping the gutters clear...happened to a friend. also fellas if you have someone doing work on your house it would be a good idea to be sure they have insurance and request a copy of their policy to be sure it is current...in this economy you just need that piece of mind.

My brother installed that on his gutters because he was having constant water damage in on corner of his house where the sun never hits. So far so good...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey Cotty you're not alone.....lf that makes you feel any better.

Xmas evening I stayed home and missed the party because I had water dripping through the wall above my living room windows.

I was found with a ladder, shovel, rock salt, and a hot water garden hose trying to melt out my gutters that night.

My living room suffered some water damage. I took a few pictures for the insurance company if I decide to file a claim.

I was able to remove about half the ice but I still have build up and back up issues.

The saga continues........It's supposed to be 40 degrees later this week. That should help the thaw.

Sorry to hear...
I hope it all waorks out for you. I tell you what, the local place here that does resoration has been great! They brought in everything needed to dry the place out. Right now, other than a nice hole in my drywall and my flooring ripped up, you can't tell anything happened. Everythig is dry already and seemes at least the carpet has been saved. Possibbly most of the drywall as well. The guy there said when drywall gets wet, if you can get it dried out really quick (within 48 hours) it will actually get stronger.
The header that was soaked is now dry and seems to be fine. I asked about mold and he said basically the same thing. If you can get it dried good quickly it will be fine.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Cotty careful following that guys advise. Not sure i would rely on it because once the backing gets wet, its toast. the mold grows where the wood and and drywall meet because you cannot get that dry. better safe than sorry with drywall. it can take a light misting but running water is generally a no no. I am also not sure how drywall becomes stronger by becoming wet...if that were true the drywall industry would already be doing it

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Cotty, I'm glad it's working out for you, but like Milo says and I'll say it again - mold is an unrelenting bitch. Just make sure you're 100% sure it's dry.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Dang Mike. I hate to see this. I love that man cave and can't wait to do one where ever I land next. I have a decent set-up now, but I want a bigger room than my current one. You had a sweet pad my man. Hope it all works out for you. If you need some help doing some work, let me know. I might be up for an evening of work if it came with beer, and talk of hunting and baseball!!! :pickle:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with Milo here Cotty. Drywall is pretty cheap in comparison to mold. If you have to cut out, replace, mud, and repaint anyway, might as well take a bit more than was actually damp. I would imagine $50 difference in material costs and less than 10 hrs difference in hanging, sanding, and painting. Not a huge deal on the long term perspective.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Cotty what kind of pipes where your water lines that the plumber used. If you are openeing it up enough it might be worth it to try PEX pipe. That stuff is absolutely killer stuff and is quick and easy to install. Just a thought. Not sure on how much drywall they had to tear down.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The root of the problem was in a header where a main beam runs across the ceiling so it's pretty open as far as air getting in there. The drywall isn't actually up against a wall. It's a box in of the beam and a main drain. However, there happened to be plumbing there leading up to our kitchen sink and over to the bar sink.

The parts where the water ran down the drywall and the drywall is against a wall are being replaced.
All of the laminate flooring is being replaced as well.
The insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow. I'll get official word then.

As far as the type of pipe? I have no clue, but the plumber already fixed it. Hopefully it's good this time!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
DANG!!! I feel for you Cotty! I've been there before TOO! Hope you get things squared away. Our leak came from the water line behind our fridge that leads to the icemaker! The basement ceiling was sagging at least a foot!