Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mystery antlers

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a good one. These do not appear to be in velvet. How late have you guys seen deer carrying into the next season? Looking for opinions here to stir the mind since it is the slow-season.

Attachments

• PICT0139 May4 hard antler half rack and shed pedicle.jpg
    PICT0139 May4 hard antler half rack and shed pedicle.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 188
  • PICT0144 May4 half rack body.jpg
    PICT0144 May4 half rack body.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0143 May4 hard antlers.jpg
    PICT0143 May4 hard antlers.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0147 half rack penis maybe.jpg
    PICT0147 half rack penis maybe.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 183

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks like he may have a groin injury. Couple be the reason he hasn't dropped the other side. I don't know. Just taking a stab at it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like he may have a groin injury. Couple be the reason he hasn't dropped the other side. I don't know. Just taking a stab at it.

Antlered doe was a possibility. The last picture appears to be a penis. Could be an injury healing I suppose? I am not looking for a penis when I see antlers in the woods! :smiley_crocodile:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Either that's the John Holmes of deer or he has an injury. Usually it's further back and way less pronounced than that.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What can I say? We grow'em big in NW Ohio. :smiley_crocodile:

I was scratching my head a bit as I was looking at the picture. I won't lie. I wasn't sure.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw one carrying both sides on opening day of turkey season last year... that's the latest I've ever seen one carrying. But this one takes the cake. Hard to say what the reasoning is.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am really leaning towards antler deformity on it's first set of antlers which maybe won't push the antler off until the new ones are sprouting (which they should be already) or an injury. Keep the opinions coming. I am intrigued by this.

Bowhunter57 suggested I put a camera out there looking for an "upskirt shot" to see if his dingle berries were okay. He said so jokingly. . . I think. haha

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Never know, maybe you will get lucky and catch him by a licking branch and get a candid shot of him on his hind legs!! :smiley_crocodile: