Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NASA Plumbrook

Schu72

Streetsboro
Well...I was drawn for the NASA Plumbrook Adult deer gun hunt on 10/22. Don't know anything about the hunt or the property. I have entered the drawing for the Ravenna hunt for years with no luck (including this year), but was drawn for this on my first try. I kinda feel wierd about getting drawn, I was so pumped about taking a nice buck with a bow this year. It will be weird gun hunting before the rut. :smiley_chinrub:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Nice draw. Did they let you know via email?

No...I saw the results were available so I went to the ODNR website and followed the instructions. It's a little different this year. You log in with your account ID or DOB and SSN and it gives you your drawing results.

Buckmaster

Portage
Way to go Scott. I hear that's a nice hunt. I've been to Ravenna twice and kindly removed 4 deer for them. There are some monsters in Plumbrook.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats on getting drawn for plumbrook, Schu! I know a lot of guys that have been putting in for years and have never been drawn. A few years ago I was working out there part time for USDA, so I know first hand the quality and quantity of deer that are inside that fence.... Let me tell you, there are some absolute monsters. Let me know when you find out if you were drawn for a specific sector or as an alternate. I think I may have an old map of plumbrook around here somewhere, so I might be able to give you some intel.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I kinda feel wierd about getting drawn, I was so pumped about taking a nice buck with a bow this year. It will be weird gun hunting before the rut.

If its causing you that much stress, I guess I can go in your place and make you feel a little better.:smiley_chinrub:

Matt

Norton, OH
Congrats man. I was unsuccessful. Still waiting on the Mosquito and Ottawa waterfowl drawings. They are probably waiting on the season dates to be set. I think Ohio needs to set up preference points for these hunts. I been entering for years and haven't won anything. BTW, if you need a fellow Northeasterner to tag along as your hunting partner, just let me know. ;)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats man. I was unsuccessful. Still waiting on the Mosquito and Ottawa waterfowl drawings. They are probably waiting on the season dates to be set. I think Ohio needs to set up preference points for these hunts. I been entering for years and haven't won anything. BTW, if you need a fellow Northeasterner to tag along as your hunting partner, just let me know. ;)

I agree, man... I don't understand why preference points aren't a part of these drawings. With everything being electronic, I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to program it into the system. The easy way to do it would be to have the computer enter your name into the drawing as many times as you've unsuccessfully applied. For instance, if you've been putting in for the NASA drawing for the past ten years without getting drawn, it would enter your name into this year's drawing ten times. I'm sure they are some downfalls to running it that way, but I can't think of any.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Schu, drop me a PM when you get your sector. I grew up on a dead end road that runs into Plumbrook, have been on many of hunts as a helper inside the fence, and my uncle is still helping. We can give you boat loads of info if we know where you are.

A little bit of history. This place is thick! I'm glad you got a gun hunt, are you a primary or alternate? If you're primary, you have a sector and have rights to that sector all day. If you're an alternate, well there are many things that may come your way. Everything from taking over a sector once a primary is done, to riding in the back of a truck shooting road side on no hunt sectors, to be putting on post while USDA/ODNR personell drive out no hunt sectors (around nuke reactor, it's decommissioned, no worries :) )

Schu72

Streetsboro
Schu, drop me a PM when you get your sector. I grew up on a dead end road that runs into Plumbrook, have been on many of hunts as a helper inside the fence, and my uncle is still helping. We can give you boat loads of info if we know where you are.

A little bit of history. This place is thick! I'm glad you got a gun hunt, are you a primary or alternate? If you're primary, you have a sector and have rights to that sector all day. If you're an alternate, well there are many things that may come your way. Everything from taking over a sector once a primary is done, to riding in the back of a truck shooting road side on no hunt sectors, to be putting on post while USDA/ODNR personell drive out no hunt sectors (around nuke reactor, it's decommissioned, no worries :) )

I'm not sure about the primary vs. alt. It just said I was drawn and its the first hunt of the year, so I think that will help. I'll PM you once I have more info and maybe we can talk by phone.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A friend got a 140 class 10 point there a few years ago. They saw tons of deer but is was so thick shooting was difficult. One thing he said he would do if he went again would be to coordinate with the guys on either side to walk through about the same time, kind of like a drive.

BTW deer from the controlled hunts aren't elligable for BBBC, P&Y or B&C

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have two maps and I've viewed on google/bing maps, but anything you can offer would be great t hear.

Oh that's great, man. They didn't always send maps out with the permits, so that is a big help! Good thing, too... I just dug through my junk drawer, and I can't find my sector map anywhere. I've got the facility map but that's it. Sorry dude.

Some of the sectors have bunkers in them, which can offer a piece of "high ground." If your sector has one of those, don't be afraid to use it... Unless of course they tell you otherwise during the prehunt briefing. One more thing... I know some people get lucky by staying in one spot, but try to stay moving if possible. The deer at NASA are plentiful, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. They will hunker down in thick cover just like any other deer. If you go all morning without success, don't get discouraged. A lot of times, the guys working the hunt will set up deer drives in the various zones, and you may get a chance to get in on the action. Good luck!

Schu72

Streetsboro
Well the big day is almost here. By this time tomorrow I'll be gun hunting in Plumbrook. I'll try to do some posting on how things are going and then I try to put together a summary of the entire experience. Good luck to everyone who will be out this weekend. I look forward to reading about some big boys hitting the dirt.