Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some opinions

Schu72

Streetsboro
My first shot gun - Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer - bout 50 years old now still have it - used it for ducks, phesants with good success bought turkey barrel for it with screw in chokes - wifey got a 20 ga 37 feather weight that is sweet
Mine is a model 87 deerslayer 2. I believe the barrel is set and not removable. 24 in fully rifled tack driver.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ballistically, yes your muzzy combo is tough to beat. And I totally agree that the smell of muzzy smoke while watching a deer flop is borderline orgasmic. But I don’t think the negative weight you’re putting on the whole cleaning deal and the one-shot restriction is quite heavy enough. The biggest advantage I see to the affordability and light recoil of the .350 Legend, is the increased likelihood of target practice and enjoyment in shooting. Large recoil, expensive sabots, dirty shooting, are all things that make people limit their practice to the week before gun season every year. As a result, familiarity with the weapon (and therefore accuracy) can potentially suffer. A gun like the .350 that is pure joy to shoot will lead to more practice and more familiarity/intimacy with the weapon. My Browning Gold 12 gauge is the perfect example. I’ve been shooting that gun for 18 years now and have run thousands of shells through it. It is literally a natural extension of my body. I can disassemble and reassemble the entire gun with my eyes closed. Because of all this, I tend to shoot it really, really well. But if you put Jesse’s Benelli Vinci in my hands or some other unfamiliar gun, I won’t be near as effective with it. The same goes for pistols and rifles.

In my opinion the .350 Legend checks all the boxes for the perfect whitetail caliber in Ohio.

I hear ya. I shot it a ton when I first got it to find the right load. Since then I pull it out once a year before season and fire a shot to foul the barrel and check the scope. The trigger on that gun is crazy good for some reason. Almost too light and it breaks clean with zero creep. To me that's what makes all the difference regarding accuracy. For some, practice is more important than for others. A classic example of this is last year when I shot that buck with Alex and his buddy in the blind. The buck was at 172 yards and dropped like a stone. The other guy and alex were going back out there the next day and the other guys muzzy didn't have a scope so I let him borrow mine. I sent him the BDC ranges for the scooe. He shot at three deer the next day. 160 yards, 125 yards, both misses and one he shot at twice. He finally killed one at 102 yards. A guy like that could use some practice behind a rifle before season.

As for "justifying" a 350. Pffft. A man really only needs a shotgun, 22, and one rifle. After that need has nothing to do with it. Go get your rifle and enjoy it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
My first shot gun - Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer - bout 50 years old now still have it - used it for ducks, phesants with good success bought turkey barrel for it with screw in chokes - wifey got a 20 ga 37 feather weight that is sweet

Also have a Ithaca 51 semi auto 12 ga in excellent condition

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yup Blackhorn shoots very clean.... Just make sure you use a hot primer.... Also needs a Blackhorn breech plug or drill out your existing one... They also say a tighter fitting bullet is best....

Outside

180gr is the optimum load for -06. 450BM has been good to me. My 0.270Win sits forlorn in the closet waiting for a.trip.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm sorry I missed this thread.

In time Johnny44, Most of us acquire several deer guns based on the deer type lands we hunt in. Fast pumps or straight wall lever or (for some), hand gun for thick/close 80-10 yard hunting. 50-200 yard modern in-line muzzy's, 350, 450, 45/70 and beyond, for the more open, farm land type flatlands. After 2, its almost more of a "rabbit hole" path of choice… (lol)

Aside from having that first Ohio designated deer gun, may I also suggest in choosing a second, availability of ammo in the event of political or zombie apocalypse. ;)

Seems like an modern inline would be the easiest to keep fed. A 50 caliber M/L shooting 45 caliber bullets' and a few cans of choice power would be putting meat on the table long after you can't find a box of big loaded shells 350/450/45-70...

Anyway you look at it, over time, like many of us, you'll end up with several.
Its more a question of the ORDER you get em… :cool:

Outside

The 250gr FTX bullet used in the Hornady ammo is also used in a lot of 0.50 MiL's.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

As of this morning, I can add #4 to the kill list of this Ruger American 450 Bushmaster. 40 yard shot in the right front shoulder dropped this button buck in his tracks. I am consistently impressed with the accuracy, killing power and ease of handling of this rifle/cartridge. :cool:
There's a lot of decent rifles and rifle cartridges out there. (y) Good luck with your choices!

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• BB 1.jpg
    BB 1.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 153
  • BB 2.jpg
    BB 2.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 191

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I hunt with a 45-70 but that round definitely drops pretty good after 100 yards. its probably overkill for deer. my last deer I took, it almost blew her front leg off on the exit side! Never hunted with the 350 but read great reviews.

Lundy

I just got around to reading this and agree with Dannmann801 completely. It is all about your choice of what best suits your style of hunting and what you want from performance in the weapon you choose. My custom smokeless muzzleloaders have no ballistic competition from any Ohio legal factory caliber or ammo but that performance level comes at a cost that many don't want to invest in and are just as happy shooting foster type slugs from a smoothbore shotgun. There are so many options , all capable of getting the job done, depending on the job required.

pawandeep

Alsaka
purchased the Savage Axis XP 350 legend at Cabela's over the summer. $349 in price with a 3-9 scope and camo stock. I really like it so far. I am shooting the 150 grain Winchester XP deer hunter, or something like that. Sighted it in at 100 yards and am very happy with it. Took a doe with it just the other day at 55 yards and dropped her.

pawandeep

Alsaka
purchased the Savage Axis XP 350 legend at Cabela's over the summer. $349 in price with a 3-9 scope and camo stock. I really like it so far. I am shooting the 150 grain Winchester XP deer hunter, or something like that. Sighted it in at 100 yards and am very happy with it. Took a doe with it just the other day at 55 yards and dropped her.
I buy this Cabelas from tmc bilge pump where each and everything is available at a low price.