Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Turkey 101 guidance

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Looks like I’ll be picking up another costly hobby I know nothing about 😆 I’m looking at a Winchester 12 gauge SXP with an extra full choke. Thoughts on that gun?
When it comes to loads…looks like tungsten is the way to go but what shot size and length is recommended? And with the price tag of those….I damn sure ain’t sighting in a new gun with those…is there a round that acts similar? Much appreciated!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Unfortunately, if you want to pattern a shotgun right, you’ll need to shoot a couple different chokes and a few different loads. You can get by with just using the choke you have and experimenting with different loads, but you’re not going to realize the guns true potential.

I‘d try as many different loads as I could afford. Hevi-shot is a good load, as is Winchester long beard. TSS is probably the best load you’re going to shoot but those are VERY expensive. I remember reading a post on here that someone was shooting TSS loads out of a .410 and their kid killed a bird at 40 yards! That’s a hell of a shot for a .410 bore. I shoot TSS out of my .20 gauge and pay around $25-30 for a box of five, whereas that same load in a .12 gauge is around $50-70….sometimes more. I sighted in with birdshot then switched over to shooting every brand I could get my hands on at 40 yards. Ended up going with the TSS with the HevI-shot coming in second. I figure at over $6 per shot for my gun and only shooting one or two birds a year, a box will last me a few seasons, provided you pick your shot and kill most birds with one well placed shot.

If using a scope or a red dot, you could use plain old birdshot to get you on target like I did then switch to your best load to confirm it hits in the same place. One way to save money is to find one or two friends who also want to experiment with loads and each buy a couple different brands as you’ll probably only shoot a couple of rounds out of each box. There are some accomplished Turkey hunters on here so I’m sure you’ll get lots more good advise. Good luck. I’ll be following along to see how you’ve made out.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If the gun comes with the choke might as well try it. I was told i think on here to try a cheap jelly head choke and if it patterns nice you're only in or out (if it doesn't) $30ish.

I put two birds stone dead with winchester xx loads. My brother has had good success with the blended loads.

I'm now all in on the TSS. I did need to buy a specific choke for that.

Honestly just get a stevens 301 or the H&R that @giles son shot his with. Using those. 410 and TSS you've got an easy 40 yard gun with minimal cost other than the shells. I sighted her red dot in with normal 9s and then shot once to confirm. My stevens is super light and has a red dot on it. Now my 20 throws a better pattern but it's heavier and cost a lot more than $200.

Reactions: Smawgunner2
I use a 20 gauge, 2 3/4" Winchester 7.5 shot copper plated that you can buy 25 of for less than those little boxes of turkey loads for. That gives you practice and game day loads both!

My personal opinion is that EVERYTHING having to do with hunting has been commercialized to the point of nausea. I would say don't buy in to it and use what you got! But pattern it and if need be put sights on it so you hit where you shoot and know where you are going to hit. Shoot at 30 yards when practicing and when you shoot at a bird aim where the neck feathers end and the pretty colored ugly skin begins. They die. Oh and daredevils still catch fish too!

These.

I've several 9 to 11" beard birds with 1 1/4 to 1 5/8" spurs in the upper teens to low 20 lb birds and never had to chase any. Shot out to about 45 yards but mostly I like em CLOSE cuz that's more fun and none did I have to chase or shoot multiple times. Oh and most of my birds, not shot when they first come off roost died around 11:30 am.
I also like the technique of, when a bird gets with hens and gets past me in the early morning and I can't hunt him at 11 am, I will go in AFTER they roost in the evening and bust them off the roost by getting between the gobbler and the hens. They fly off in different directions and then I get back in there early and get between him and the hens and call at first light. It makes for an AMAZING 10 minutes of ruckus and usually nets me the Tom! That is IF I can get him before the hens do.
these.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I personally like shooting 12ga 3.5-inch shells. There are two things to consider when it comes to the business of killing a turkey. Pattern density and kinetic energy. The TSS shot is so popular because it's 1.5x heavier than lead. So guys can get away with shooting 7.5 or even 9 shot that still hits like 5s and 6s but they have way more pellets in the shell due to the pellet size. They went up in kinetic energy per pellet to use smaller shot and gain better pattern density. It only takes one pellet in the brain or a vertebra to kill a bird. Often called the magic pellet. The deal is you have to throw a lot of pellets at their head to actually hit one of those magic spots.

As for chokes it depends on what you want to shoot. I prefer Hevi shot but the Longbeard XR is copper-plated lead and a good option. As for chokes you'll want one that's ported as that really helps with recoil. I would get one that is rated for heavi shot. Choke constriction matters. Tighter choke for smaller shot. Like a .655 for #6s. .665 for 5 and 4 shot. Personally I love to shoot a 3.5 inch duplex load of 5s, 6s, and 7s. And I shoot a Jelly head .655. Absolutely deadly and I've drilled them at 70 yards with no issues.

Screenshot_20230430-121330_Chrome.jpg

I personally like shooting 12ga 3.5-inch shells. There are two things to consider when it comes to the business of killing a turkey. Pattern density and kinetic energy. The TSS shot is so popular because it's 1.5x heavier than lead. So guys can get away with shooting 7.5 or even 9 shot that still hits like 5s and 6s but they have way more pellets in the shell due to the pellet size. They went up in kinetic energy per pellet to use smaller shot and gain better pattern density. It only takes one pellet in the brain or a vertebra to kill a bird. Often called the magic pellet. The deal is you have to throw a lot of pellets at their head to actually hit one of those magic spots.

As for chokes it depends on what you want to shoot. I prefer Hevi shot but the Longbeard XR is copper-plated lead and a good option. As for chokes you'll want one that's ported as that really helps with recoil. I would get one that is rated for heavi shot. Choke constriction matters. Tighter choke for smaller shot. Like a .655 for #6s. .665 for 5 and 4 shot. Personally I love to shoot a 3.5 inch duplex load of 5s, 6s, and 7s. And I shoot a Jelly head .655. Absolutely deadly and I've drilled them at 70 yards with no issues.

View attachment 177763
70 yards?! That's not hunting, that's sniping and assassination! :ROFLMAO: Can't argue with your logic though!

mike hunt

I'm all about the Gun, I should probably get a Benelli intervention. I think the best place to spend money to kill a Turkey is on those TSS shells, the Magnum Blends are good too. I have turkey chokes, but I'm sure the factory full will work great with the high end shells.

Reactions: Smawgunner2