Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Netflix Prices Going Up!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Anyone else get this note today?

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

I figured it wouldn't be long until the $9.99 would be jacked up. As much as we use ours, I still think the $16 bucks is fair.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't like being forced into things especially when we had a prior agreement. I have been known to cut off my nose to spite my face.... I would dump them on general purpose and just rent from redbox.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I don't like being forced into things especially when we had a prior agreement. I have been known to cut off my nose to spite my face.... I would dump them on general purpose and just rent from redbox.

Yeah I know what you are saying, I told my mom when they enrolled about a year ago, that we could expect 15 bucks a month really soon. I wouldn't spend any more than that and will probably drop them next summer and just re enroll again, as we use it mostly from Dec-April.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last night I noticed Time Warner offering a 29.95 plan for a year on internet. My bill is 56 a month...

I will be calling them today and telling them to lower it to 29.95...

If not, AT&T U-verse will be happy to install a faster connection for 24.95 for 6 months, and 43.00 after that..

A 400 dollar savings the first year and 160 a year after that, and that's for a better product.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yeah, I got that notice TOO. WTF? The wife and I use it once in awhile now, but the winter will increase usage. My kids, however, use it on xbox alot. So, I guess I'll take the hit. I may bitch though and see where it gets me.

That's the way with me, I stream them through my Xbox and watch a lot of TV shows and old movies. Rainy days and winter we burn it up, so they kind of have me by the balls.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have the 3 DVD plan + instant and it is increasing from $19.99 to $23.98, $3.99 or about a 20% increase. Shoulda bought Netflix stock a couple of years ago.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With a 7 and 9yr old they have me. We don't get the DVD's though, just stream it through the kids Wii.

Sam- Be thankful you didn't buy their stock. It took a big hit at the announcement.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
With a 7 and 9yr old they have me. We don't get the DVD's though, just stream it through the kids Wii.

Sam- Be thankful you didn't buy their stock. It took a big hit at the announcement.

You should be OK then, if you don't do the DVD plan then it will stay at $7.99, unless yours is cheaper than that now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw it last night on a stock update page: netflix is dropping like a bomb. Walmart to soon enter competition with them offering various methods of watching movies. Competition is good! Prices will come down for customers!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yeah I seen that with Walmart, they claim they are going to offer streaming instantly the same day that the movie hits the shelves on DVD. If that is true, that will be a very big selling point. You have to wait quite a while to get DVD option let along instants streaming on Netflix.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I cut my Netflix plan from $16.99 a month to have 2 DVD's out and unlimited streaming, down the the $4.99 limited plan. Fuck them. For starters, the streaming content is a damn joke. To add to that, we are more impulse movie watchers and with Blockbuster dropping prices like crazy, it was getting to be a cheaper route for us. For $5 a month, I'll keep Netflix just to have a movie on hand, but I'm done with their half-asses streaming content and raising prices on me like that...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I dropped Netflix. First off I don't rent enough movies even to justify $15 a month. Second, I can't get the streaming video over here. Third our mail is hanusly slow and it takes 10 to 21 days to get a DVD.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I dropped Netflix. First off I don't rent enough movies even to justify $15 a month. Second, I can't get the streaming video over here. Third our mail is hanusly slow and it takes 10 to 21 days to get a DVD.

I don't blame you then. We get ours within 2 days most of the time. Without the streaming of TV Shows and old movies that I haven't seen, we would probably just watch one or two a month through our Cable box or a couple from Red Box.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

There should be plenty of japanese and Korean sites with American movies and shows for streaming. They have the most lax copyright enforcement in the world.