Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New broadheads: Crimson Talon Cleaver

Creamer

Athens
I'll be shooting these from my trad setups but figured I'd post here in case anyone else was interested in these heads. A buddy got me started watching the Lusk broadhead reviews on YouTube a few weeks ago. I was on the fence about what to shoot this fall, and hadn't heard of the Cleaver's until I saw them on a Lusk video. They performed well in his tests, and I love sharpening single bevels, so I decided to give them a shot. $30/3 is a bargain compared to most single bevel heads. The Cleaver is available in 125, 150, and 200 grains. I ordered 200's.

They arrived in good condition, but not sharp enough to me for hunting (which I expected). I shot one last night alongside a field tip and they shot right with my field tips out of my recurve. My Block target is a little shot out in the middle, but still stops field tips. The first shot I went middle and the Cleaver blew threw it with practically no resistance. The arrow skipped through the yard a ways but sustained no damage. I shot the Cleaver about 12-14 times last night and it flew really well.

Last night I grabbed one and started sharpening to see how that went. I used a Stay Sharp Version "C" (for curved blades) jig I already had, adjiusted for the blade angle of the Cleaver. I found out real fast that I had to start over and take the blade out of the ferrule. The Jewelstik was contacting the front of the ferrule, so I had to pop the blade out. I Sharpie'd the blade edge and started in with the Jewlstik.

I cycled through all three sides of the Jewlstik, then reassembled the head and stropped it freehand. It didn't take all that long to get a really good edge on this head. Cutthroat's and Zwickey single bevels definitely took me a lot longer to get this sharp. This head was slicing paper pretty cleanly last night without a whole lot of effort/time.

I'm pretty excited to send one of these into an animal. Usually, lower priced heads will be less durable and more disposable, but Lusk's review suggested they were pretty durable. I'm hoping I can get multiple animals per head with these. Time will tell.

I purchased a package of them, last year and didn't notice, until they arrived, that they are right bevel. :rolleyes: Crimson Talon doesn't make a left bevel, so I gave them to a hunting buddy. I think they're a solid built broadhead. :cool:

I have left wing helical fletching and need a left bevel broadhead. :)

Reactions: Boarhead

Creamer

Athens
just bought some 150s...couldnt find the 200s....and watched a few youtube reviews

How do you like that staysharp?

I bought that jig for the Simmons heads I was going to try two years ago. Even with that jig I couldn't get the Simmons heads as sharp as I wanted. For these heads, it's worked great so far.

Interesting you say that as my last sb head go was with Strickland Helix. Had there sharpening set up too. Good head, flew well, cut well… just didn’t knock my socks off. Have magnus serrazors now and they do well but the blood trails aren’t huge (though they typically drop within 75)

Reactions: Creamer