Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New coyote gun

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
A few weeks back I finally pulled the trigger and bought an AR. I decided to buy a 223 Wylde side charger from bearcreekarsenal.com. I already had some Magpul furniture and put on s cheap Walmart special Center Point scope (which BTW is actually pretty nice).

The gun was only $411 shipped and because of the low cost I was bit nervous as to how she would perform. My concerns were quickly eliminated after emptying the first 10 round magazine.

To sight her in I used some cheap 62gr Federal 5.56. At 100 yards she keeps a tight group at about an inch. Once the suppressor was added the groups where just as tight, maybe even tighter, but the point of impact rose about 5 inches and 3 inches to the right. I ran out of time and need to finish dialing her in.

This weekend I plan on finishing sighting her in with some Hornady VMAX 223 in 55gr. Hopefully Ill be able to take her out that same evening for her maiden predator hunt.
20200117_142137.jpg

Chass

The Hills
Heck yeah! You trying to save the fur? Just wondering with that caliber pick, gotta be on your game with that round or you will have a lot of runners and spinners get a way.

Reactions: Thunderflight

Chass

The Hills
With .223 heavier the better. Most of the hardcore coyote hunters will tell ya that the .223 is on the underpowered side of the spectrum. Yeah itll get the job done, but plenty will get away on subpar shots. I think it's so popular to use cause it's already in the cabinet which is my case. 6.5cm is taking over here. .243 is also super popular. My next gun will he a 6.5cm I think

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
The Creedmoor will be my next rifle purchase, without a doubt. I just haven't done it yet because I fear that it would collect dust majority of the time. If my trip to Virginia deer camp for rifle season becomes an annual event, I'll be shopping around.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What wieght do you recommend? I actually thoyght about going heavier.

I don't have much experience on shooting coyotes but a heavier bullet will have less wind drift. Not sure what distances you're planning on hunting at nor there twist rate of your barrel.

I would recommend 62 or 77 grain if your barrel will stabilize them. I use the magtech 5.56 77gr sierra matchkings in my precision AR with good results on groundhogs and the occasional coyote out to 500 yards (paper and steel farther). I don't care about the fur, so i dunno if that's a fur friendly combo or not, sorry.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
With .223 heavier the better. Most of the hardcore coyote hunters will tell ya that the .223 is on the underpowered side of the spectrum. Yeah itll get the job done, but plenty will get away on subpar shots. I think it's so popular to use cause it's already in the cabinet which is my case. 6.5cm is taking over here. .243 is also super popular. My next gun will he a 6.5cm I think

Another potential downside is those are both designed off a .308 case which means AR10esque if you want semiauto. Though if someone makes a quality drop in replacement barrel for a Scar17s that's not ridiculously expensive that'd be pretty awesome.

Smawgunner

Athens
Nice! To save $ on my ARs....I simply cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and slide over the pistol grip. Blends right in and grips like a mother!

Reactions: "J"