Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Ice Shelter

After this past Saturday, I decided to break down and purchase a "real" ice shelter and stop getting by with my groundblind. My brother and I were on a local lake and nearly froze our keesters off (with the heater running), trying to get in some ice fishing. He did catch a nice 14" rainbow trout, but we paid dearly for it.

I went to Cabelas, but the shelves were bare. :smiley_depressive: There was 1 $650 ice shelter and a few "starter kits" for $500 sitting there in a bare spot where the others had been set up.

However, in the Bargan Cave I found a Cabelas Ice Team 6x6 hub-style shelter for $149, that they marked down to $135. I used my $50 gift card from the fat man in the red suit, got a 15% discount and used up an old gift card that had $17 on it...and ended up paying $54 for this shelter. :smiley_clap:

I'm going out this evening to set it up and try it out...can't wait. This is going to be the longest 8 hour work day of my life. :smiley_boos: I'll have to post some pics later.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After this past Saturday, I decided to break down and purchase a "real" ice shelter and stop getting by with my groundblind. My brother and I were on a local lake and nearly froze our keesters off (with the heater running), trying to get in some ice fishing. He did catch a nice 14" rainbow trout, but we paid dearly for it.

I went to Cabelas, but the shelves were bare. :smiley_depressive: There was 1 $650 ice shelter and a few "starter kits" for $500 sitting there in a bare spot where the others had been set up.

However, in the Bargan Cave I found a Cabelas Ice Team 6x6 hub-style shelter for $149, that they marked down to $135. I used my $50 gift card from the fat man in the red suit, got a 15% discount and used up an old gift card that had $17 on it...and ended up paying $54 for this shelter. :smiley_clap:

I'm going out this evening to set it up and try it out...can't wait. This is going to be the longest 8 hour work day of my life. :smiley_boos: I'll have to post some pics later.

You will love that shelter, 57. I bought the same one a couple weeks ago up in Dundee. It wasn't in the bargain cave yet, but it was on sale for 129.99 then... regularly 199.99. I've fished out of it 4 times now and it's been great each time. Just make sure that if it's windy, take precautions and use the ice anchors. In a light breeze I didn't even anchor it, just packed snow on the skirt, and it held up just fine. IMO it's the perfect compromise of budget, mobility, and craftsmanship. Have fun with it!

JBrown,
Yep! That's the same one that I just purchased. It's a monster, compared the groundblind that I was using. Actually, I can set the groundblind up, inside it.

My brother and I were out in it this evening and we caught several bluegills, a few with some size to them and a nice crappie. However, as soon as sunset, the shutdown and it was over. :smiley_cry: We were going to go back out tomorrow, but the weather peeps are saying that we're going to get 3" to 5" of the white stuff. We'll probably just make plans for the weekend.

Here's the blind that I purchased:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoFLrzN5Vg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The pics will have to wait until this Friday, as I'm taking the day off to go ice fishing. I'll get some pics of the shelter and any fish...if we catch some. :smiley_blink:

Sorry for stealing your thunder but I can tell these guys were getting impatient LOL.

shanty.jpg